Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have exams coming up in 2 weeks and i am so far behind in work and scared of failing uni

I just started taking caffeine pills to help me concentrate and stay alert, i hate coffee because you have to go to the toilet often and pills form are so much more convenient.

The thing is caffeine is a stimulant and that only makes people like ourselves anxiety alot worse, my heart starts racing quickly when i take them but i really need to get work and study done, so i take inderal (propanol) to counter-act the increase heart rate and anxiety.

I just started this approach 2 days ago, and its actually quiete a good combination for being more confident, since u get the effect in hyperactive and somewhat are the same time, calm.
Has anyone experienced this before, and used it to prepare for their exams? lol

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If you're taking high doses of caffeine, you could be getting dangerously high blood pressure because propanolol only blocks the beta receptors, not alphas (which constrict blood vessels in the presence of adrenaline). Add to that the fact that caffeine stops headaches, one of the first symptoms of high BP.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts