Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current prick of a roommate who ive known forever decided he wants to stay with his sister next year, leaving me roomateless for next year. I don't have many friends and the few i do already have living arrangements made at the dorm on campus. I can't stay on campus due to complicated reasons from transferring. So I will be staying in an off campus dorm next year again like this year, but will be having a random roommate this time.

I am scared out of my mind, I also have to do the difficult task of going to the downstairs leasing office and renewing.

So people with random roomate experiance please tell storys and give tips.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i cant give any tips, but i can tell you that nothing should leave you with no comfort zone. often this is a house/dorm/bedroom. If you feel uncomfortable after the first day, i advise you to try and see if you can get another room-mate. Always make sure you have some place you can go after a tough day and feel safe

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have had lots of random roommates and I looked as it as a way to learn how to communicate with people better. It is really hard for me not to just ignore them though. The one I have now is always in her room. I wish I could find a way to get closer to my roommates but I don't know what to do.

·
Banned
448 Posts
My roommate my first semester was a random roommate. We were assigned together since neither one of us had requested anyone. He was really shy and would hardly ever speak.

We would do our own thing and would hardly say anything to each other. Who knows, you may get lucky and wind up with someone like that.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I roomed with somebody I knew well because I was afraid of rooming with a stranger. It was one of the worst decisions of my life. We were pretty good friends going into it, but the kid was known for being difficult. All my friends gave me crap for it and I was like no way, everything will be alright. I ended up basically moving out and living with other friends only going to my dorm when absolutely necessary.

I barely got to know anybody on campus except for old high school friends. I'm thinking if I would have had a random roommate there's a chance I could have met a lot more people.

So, hopefully it turns out well for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm living with three random roommates this summer for my summer housing with my internship, and I had two random roommates my freshman year of college. It's really not so bad, I think that you just have to be courteous, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to just ignore each other even though you are living in the same room.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Look at this way. You have a chance to start fresh with someone so be open and friendly, which will make a good first impression. Make an effort to get to know them even if you're still quiet, cause at least the person will know that you're trying and willing to try and make a connection.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my roomate in fourth year was a girl who had this really great two bedroom condo right next to campus. she was pretty shy too. what we did was studied together and competed against each other for grades. we also watched a lot of tv together cause we liked the same shows. we rarely hung out together outside of the apartment.

you should put an ad out for a roomate somewhere. a lot of the time your school will have a webpage or housing assistence site where you can leave a description of your preferences (age, sex, major/minor, habits, etc.) and a contact email address. you should set up interviews and for a few days or a week and screen the people who respond in person. then choose someone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts