Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have graduated college exactly one year ago and I realized a piece of paper does not help your chances in the job market. We all grow up with the adults telling us that a college education is so wonderful that it's going to unlock the keys to financial and social success.:sus In reality, it is 4-6 years of government loan companies and universities making money off of the students with increasing tuition costs every year. Thank God I went to a state college and got financial aid so I owe under $5,000. I am incredibly saddened by others who owe $30,000 plus.

Anyway, look at it this way: If you had spent the 4-6 years in college actually working full time at whatever field you were majoring in, you would have 4-6 years of experience under your belt which is enough to make you become respected in your field and earn a middle-level income. Instead, newly minted graduates have to find work that requires no education at all and it is usually menial, lower-level work. I mean really, did I go to college just to become an office monkey???

I think it is only worth it if you are actually becoming a doctor, lawyer, or getting a "prestigious" degree that not everybody can attain which makes your value in the job market must more rarer and valuable. Other than that, college is a waste of time and an excuse for not having to work.

I mean, back in the 60's or 70's which was when our parents were in their teens or twenty's, a college degree was rare now it's as common as drinking water. People say "congrats" all the time when they hear you graduated, but this seems like they are congratulating you for finally getting the hell out of an institution that sucks money out of you every year and now it's time to find a job. College is just a society-backed scam. You just have to look at all the college grads out there who can't find work or who are working at jobs that don't even require a college degree.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Many people with fancy college degrees especially in things like psychology or history end up working as clerks or lowly manufacturing jobs.

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
I've been questioning the validity of a college education since I started last year. It seems that the degree and the stress of school isn't worth that steep price. I think colleges are designed to take your money. The school system I'm in, the University of California, is constantly raising fees and tuition, with no consideration for students. At this rate we'll be buried to our eyeballs in debt when we finally graduate. I've been wondering if its all worth it. The media tells you educated people have a better chance of getting high paying jobs. I've seen high school dropouts with decent jobs. So, I don't know at this point. I'm already enrolled, and I'm not dropping out now, only so I can regret it later.

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been questioning the validity of a college education since I started last year. It seems that the degree and the stress of school isn't worth that steep price. I think colleges are designed to take your money. The school system I'm in, the University of California, is constantly raising fees and tuition, with no consideration for students. At this rate we'll be buried to our eyeballs in debt when we finally graduate. I've been wondering if its all worth it. The media tells you educated people have a better chance of getting high paying jobs. I've seen high school dropouts with decent jobs. So, I don't know at this point. I'm already enrolled, and I'm not dropping out now, only so I can regret it later.
Well, you are young only 19! How I wish I was your age again. If I had to do it all over again, I would just start going out there working full time. It's all about EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE. I'm an introvert and I realize college is all about the hook-ups and parties which I have only occasionally attended.

Sadly the world doesn't care if you busted your butt with a 3.5 GPA. Work experience/skills is all that counts in the real world and you won't get that with your nose in a book all the time.

A high school dropout who has 5+ years in field beats a college grad with no experience.

Like a previous poster said, it's more of a rite of passage, albeit a very expensive one.

·
Noona
3,492 Posts
Well, you are young only 19! How I wish I was your age again. If I had to do it all over again, I would just start going out there working full time. It's all about EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE, EXPERIENCE. I'm an introvert and I realize college is all about the hook-ups and parties which I have only occasionally attended.

Sadly the world doesn't care if you busted your butt with a 3.5 GPA. Work experience/skills is all that counts in the real world and you won't get that with your nose in a book all the time.

A high school dropout who has 5+ years in field beats a college grad with no experience.
College has definitely been depicted by the media as a cesspool of socializing. The media doesn't explain the high price of college, the financial and academic stress, and the struggle to find work after graduation. I've been told that employers are impressed with college degrees simply because finishing college means you have dedication and perseverance. They don't care about your college grades, thankfully. I think the best thing for people to do is research their schools, and research the life of a college student. It's best not to jump into anything you may not be able to handle. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone to a community college for twi years and then transferred. It's easier and cheaper. I'm currently stuck at a university that doesn't even have my major.

·
absurdinista
3,011 Posts
It's more because our economy is ****, and we're gutting our funding for education instead of demanding retribution from the people in power rolling the dice with America's money. The college system is good, but it is not funded appropriately. Instead we use our money to bail out corrupt institutions and reward people that caused our predicament to begin with. American economics seems to be easy to predict- the mentality is simply '**** the working class'.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
OK, I get your main premise, but how can I possibly start working on the field I'm majoring in if I don't the have the qualifications that come from uni?

For example, I'm interested in sports psychology.

How can I just decide to practice sports psychology if I don't have the slightest clue what is involved?

It seems here that a degree would be necessary.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's pretty much it.
Im 28 and have 'senior' in my job title. I work with people in graduate program who are around my age. I've been working in I.T for 8-9 year, no college exp.

The hole college thing is a scam. It only puts you at an advantage against people with no experience/college degree. I rekon in most (not all) industries you would be better off finding an employer willing to hire you for literally $0 just so you can learn and have a year's experience. Even if you worked for free for 4 years you would be better off - 4 years experience and no debt.

I remember 5 years ago (in I.T) a lot of jobs ads where saying you needed to have a degree + experience to apply. Over the last few years its been changing and a lot of ad's don't mention degree's anymore.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Yeah, I mean college is cool and all if you can afford it - you get an education, and you get to have a lot of fun partying if you are that type of person, but it is very scammy.

I always find it hilarious when the president gets up and there talks about how important education and college are. Education is such a joke. I've been to college. Half the people there are idiots.

I'm doing private tutoring now - I have a degree in math, but the stuff I tutor is no harder than anything I learned in highschool (up to calculus). Having the degree looks nice but nothing more.

I might use my math degree someday but I kind of doubt it.

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I get your main premise, but how can I possibly start working on the field I'm majoring in if I don't the have the qualifications that come from uni?

For example, I'm interested in sports psychology.

How can I just decide to practice sports psychology if I don't have the slightest clue what is involved?

It seems here that a degree would be necessary.
You get your foot in the door at whatever company it is you want to work whether it be mail boy or not or take out to lunch the people whose shoes you want to be in. Hope that's a start.

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I mean college is cool and all if you can afford it - you get an education, and you get to have a lot of fun partying if you are that type of person, but it is very scammy.

I always find it hilarious when the president gets up and there talks about how important education and college are. Education is such a joke. I've been to college. Half the people there are idiots.

I'm doing private tutoring now - I have a degree in math, but the stuff I tutor is no harder than anything I learned in highschool (up to calculus). Having the degree looks nice but nothing more.

I might use my math degree someday but I kind of doubt it.
Math degree sounds very versatile. But again this is my social conditioning speaking... in your job of private tutoring, it is very useful it seems.

I grad in accounting... so basically you are trained to slave for accounting firms 70+ hours a week.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You know, at least I'm glad that the uni tutors had the guts to tell me what I already knew.

The people sitting around me are going to be my competition for the great "Rat Race" which starts now and is concerned with grades and continues after uni in the form of job competition.

Life just seems like a bunch of bull**** sometimes, TBH.

It's scary that I'm disillusioned with life before even finishing uni. People my age are supposed to be positive and happy, but I see no reason to be so.

I'm really not looking forward in participating in the big "Rat Race".

·
INTP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You know, at least I'm glad that the uni tutors had the guts to tell me what I already knew.

The people sitting around me are going to be my competition for the great "Rat Race" which starts now and is concerned with grades and continues after uni in the form of job competition.

Life just seems like a bunch of bull**** sometimes, TBH.

It's scary that I'm disillusioned with life before even finishing uni. People my age are supposed to be positive and happy, but I see no reason to be so.

I'm really not looking forward in participating in the big "Rat Race".
Yes, but I realized unless you are rich you and you must join this Rat Race whether we like it or not. The only reason I can afford to be this relaxed in looking for work is because I still live at home.

But I realize my parents won't live forever, so unless I become a millionaire I'm going to have to work 9-5, and in most cases 40 hours is bare minimum, just like everyone else. I know a guy who grad uni and he is working as a security guard. At 40.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
The college loan bubble is the next bubble to burst. It is really going to hurt the town I live in since we have two universities here, and the only economic activity is logging and tourism.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
$30,000? I owed almost $100K when I got out. Mostly b/c I was depressed and it took me 2 extra years to graduate. Either way, I got a good job out of it so I guess I can't complain.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I agree with you OP. It's only useful if you're studying for a profession that is in high demand, so you're pretty much guaranteed to find a job. I wasted my time in uni getting a degree and it didn't do me any good. I'll probably have to settle for some crappy low paid job like a store clerk for the rest of my life.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.