Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently enrolled in DeVry University and an majoring in Graphic Design.. I soon realized that Graphic Design is not what I wanted to do and that I really want to do Animation instead. I have a friend who goes to The Art Institute of San Fransisco and has convinced me to go there sinse I love almost anything that has to do with art. I informed my school that I plan to transfer and they were ok about it.

I was able to contact The Art Institute and have even filled out the Application.. I don't know if I have been accepted yet so I'm really nervous. I'm almost positive that I'm going sinse the lady that was on the phone with me was really convinced that it's the school for me.

I'm actually really excited and I hope to meet people and make friends.. But then reality kicks in and everything falls apart.. I'm really scared about moving to a big city that's 4 hours away from my home town and living in dorms.. Luckly though I might move into my friend's dorm but I'm still scared about the whole school environment and stuff. Being around people scares me more than the thought of, "how will I pay for school?". The good thing is that my friend told me that the school has a Psychologist/Therapist.. I hope I can deal..

Anybody actually in college and living in dorms? How do you cope?

·
Banned
768 Posts
I'm currently enrolled in DeVry University and an majoring in Graphic Design.. I soon realized that Graphic Design is not what I wanted to do and that I really want to do Animation instead. I have a friend who goes to The Art Institute of San Fransisco and has convinced me to go there sinse I love almost anything that has to do with art. I informed my school that I plan to transfer and they were ok about it.

I was able to contact The Art Institute and have even filled out the Application.. I don't know if I have been accepted yet so I'm really nervous. I'm almost positive that I'm going sinse the lady that was on the phone with me was really convinced that it's the school for me.

I'm actually really excited and I hope to meet people and make friends.. But then reality kicks in and everything falls apart.. I'm really scared about moving to a big city that's 4 hours away from my home town and living in dorms.. Luckly though I might move into my friend's dorm but I'm still scared about the whole school environment and stuff. Being around people scares me more than the thought of, "how will I pay for school?". The good thing is that my friend told me that the school has a Psychologist/Therapist.. I hope I can deal..

Anybody actually in college and living in dorms? How do you cope?
I'm not in college at the moment, but I went through everything your about to 10 years ago. I moved three hours away from home to attend a big university. I didn't know a single person there. Yes, it was scary at first. I moved into a dorm and had to share a tiny little room with one other dude. The hardest part was watching my parents drive away from the dorm after dropping me off. Suddenly I was all alone, I thought I was gonna puke. But, little by little, day by day, week by week, I started to get used to my independence. My first year was the toughest.

When I first arrived at college I didn't know there was a name for my SA. It wasn't until my final year that I found a school psychologist and she diagnosed me. I met with her almost every week for two semesters. It was the biggest relief. So definetely seek out those free resources!!!

Anyhow, back on track, you'll be fine. And chances are, in between the awkward moments, in between the growing pains, you will have some great experiences of personal growth that you'll remember the rest of your life. So DON'T BE SCARED, you will be fine. I had severe SA when I went off to school and I survived. In fact, I really learned a lot about myself.

I could go on and on about all this. If you want to talk to me more, feel free to PM me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts