·
Registered
772 Posts
I've tried it.

it definitely works

it helped me to:

*uncover exactly what it was that I was scared of
*realise that the odds of my fears coming true were actually very slim
*realise that if my fears did come true then it would not be a catastrophy and that I would handle it
*actually prove that the chances of my fears coming true were very slim and that if they did come true it would not be a catastrophy

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been doing it for the past 3 months, listening to audio tapes and reading the material every day and it definitely has improved me. I wouldn't go as far as saying it is a night and day change but through repetition and persistence, I'm hoping I can slowly change the way I feel, act and think.

For those who don't know, the CBT aims to do is the slowly change the way you think, feel and act. In essence, it is trying to steer your brain patterns and thoughts from thinking negatively into something that is more positive yet rational. The main topics that my CBT focuses on include the following:
  • Slow talking
  • Seeing things from a rational perspective
  • Calming down and loosening up
  • Accepting myself no matter what
  • Ignoring negative thinking and finding distrations to prevent these thoughts from occurring
  • Turning negative thoughts into something positive or neutral at first

Again, please remember that this is a very slow and steady progress. Don't expect changes to happen in weeks, let alone months. I've been doing this for 3 months and I do still experience SA symptoms but I would say through therapy, I've become much more relaxed and confident than I have in the past.

I've almost finished up my CBT program and will be doing the behavioral program soon. In this program, it aims to change the way I act, for example, dealing with eye contact, etc.

If anyone is interested, this is the website that I'm doing my CBT through:
https://socialanxietyinstitute.org/

Hope it helps, and I wish you all the very best :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Would you say you're happy now then?
I'd say that I'm in a better state of mind now.

I see things differently now. throughout my whole life I was certain that I was a loser, I wasn't as good as other people, other people where mean and unfriendly, I didn't have the right to get involved with groups and that I wasn't welcome. I was also certain that other people would ridicule me and reject me etc....

but now I know that all of the above is complete lies. I see things differently now and im in a good frame of mind

I wouldn't say I'm happy yet because my social life still is not what I want it to be. I have been this way for over 14 years so im not gonna change over night

but I have made progress. and it's all about focusing on progress not perfection

·
Lonely Boy
62 Posts
But guys,

After how many weeks can we start to see the small changes after going through CBT?

Is 5 weeks a reasonable time period?

Thank you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
But guys,

After how many weeks can we start to see the small changes after going through CBT?

Is 5 weeks a reasonable time period?
Yes I would say after 5 weeks you can somewhat feel very minimal changes. But do keep in mind that it is a '2 steps forward, 1 step back' process. Don't be discourage if you have setbacks and understand that this is very normal and part of the process. Your brain has been conditioned in an anxiety way for so many years that simply doing the CBT for several weeks or months will not entirely rid yourself anxiety-free. To permanently change the way your brain thinks and feels, it requires immense repetition and reinforcement of the material you learn.

·
Kind of a freak
142 Posts
I only did CBT when I was in the hospital. Did it for two weeks. Felt like it was helping me out but wish I could have done it for longer.

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
it helps but gotta keep working on it, and i did not...thinking about trying it again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts