Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you did nothing over the weekend, do you lie and tell your co-workers you hung out with friends or something, or are you honest and say you did nothing? Every morning at my temp job someone asks me, "So what did you do last night?" I just say nothing because I was tired, and that's acceptable... but if Monday morning I get asked what I did over the weekend and I say nothing, I fear I will look like a loser who doesn't have any friends. :?

·
Registered
280 Posts
That's always an awful feeling. It usually makes me even more depressed, because it makes you assume that everyone else has such wonderful lives while you're sitting at home staring at a wall. Usually i'll say "I just caught up on things around home, like laundry and cleaning" to make myself sound like i'm not as much of a loser as I am.... :|

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This is one question I used to hate being asked at my job. Another one was before the weekend started. It was "Got any plans for the weekend?" Gosh, I hated those two questions.
Sometimes, I felt like saying I'm going to be seeing my married lover. :cig I bet they would shut their trap then. However, I usually would say I got nothing planned. I said this a lot. Maybe it would make me look spontaneous, go for the moment type of person. I never went around asking people about their weekend. Then again, I have SA and I didn't care what people did anyway.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
eekmd said:
Usually i'll say "I just caught up on things around home, like laundry and cleaning" to make myself sound like i'm not as much of a loser as I am.... :|
I do stuff like this too. I would assume if someone works all week, they only have time on the weekend to do these things. :stu

·
Registered
994 Posts
I never liked that question, always made me feel like I was out of an invisable loop, as the whole world has exciting plans for the weekend, while I planned on......................Watching Tv etc.......

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
Yea, it use to bother me. But like jesserie said, I've gotten to the point where it doesn't matter any more. Not having to work helps a lot too hehe. But anyway, I think if I was asked that question again I would want to say something like: "Well, I stared at the walls and did a lot of crying" :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am dreading the question when I go back to school and classmates ask what I did over the summer? I just worked, didn't go anywhere, and that's pretty much what I will say to them. I used to play it up like I went places on the weekends with friends, which was totally the opposite. I felt the same way, I didn't want the attention that there was something wrong with me not going out on weekends because I couldn't accept what was wrong, I was in denial and basically lying to myself. Now, I am honest when the question comes up, saying that I just hung around the house, watched a funny Seinfeld episode that I can share and get a laugh out of a coworker whose interested in me. That's the thing, I didn't see that the reason they were asking is that they were interested in me, instead I thought it was about impressing them. Yeah, I will always dread the question because my father never says hi, always says what's going on? So, I've felt pressure to impress early on with that question but I know how to deal with that question and that's with honesty. I correct my father now, after he immediately asks me what my day schedule is, by saying hi and asking how his day was, which always catches him off guard but helps him retract a more better approach.

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
I was talking to a guy on the net yesterday and he seems like a big partier, the kind I don't like. Anyway, he ALWAYS asks if I'm going out tonight or tomorrow or something. And I always say no. So last night he had asked that, and after I said no, he called me a lamer. That made me pissed off. I hate those questions!

·
Registered
32 Posts
It depends on what I did that weekend. If it was absolutely nothing, when asked I simply say "nothing much, how about you". This give the person the opportunity to do what they wanted to do in the first place...talk about themselves.

If something did happen (which is every once in awhile) I kind of play up it like it was bigger than it was. For instance, if my cousin stops by to pick up a c.d. or whatever, I'll say "I hung out with my cousin this weekend". :cig

·
Registered
88 Posts
dismal_dame said:
If something did happen (which is every once in awhile) I kind of play up it like it was bigger than it was. For instance, if my cousin stops by to pick up a c.d. or whatever, I'll say "I hung out with my cousin this weekend". :cig
I do this too. Anything to give people the impression that I'm normal and enjoy life away from the office.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think my coworkers have figured out that I don't have a life. Eh, I don't mind if they know. I usually say that I didn't do much.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I am prepared to tell my coworkers that I enjoyed some R & R.

I'll be returning to work (teaching) on Monday.

Star

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Pip said:
I think my coworkers have figured out that I don't have a life. Eh, I don't mind if they know. I usually say that I didn't do much.
I'll always come up with some lie. Its easy for co-workers,because they have no clue if im lying or not.
My friends are a different story. They must know im lying to them. For the past 8-9 months, every weekend i say there is something i have to do that prevents me from going out with them to a bar,or party,etc. Its unlikely that every friday and saturday night (EVERY) i have an errand. Picking people up that need a ride, watching a younger relative, bad sunburn....ive used every excuse, believeable or not. Then i need to nervously panic about how they might drive by and see that im home. Im suprised they have continued calling me as long as they have actually.

·
Registered
49 Posts
eekmd said:
It usually makes me even more depressed, because it makes you assume that everyone else has such wonderful lives while you're sitting at home staring at a wall.
Absolutely. Just about every week the guy who sits right behind me, who I get along with really well, will talk about his weekend and ask how mine was/what I did, etc. Sometimes I make something up about going somewhere with so and so...sometimes I actually did do something semi-fun so Ill mention that if so. It sucks though because it seems like hes got so many different things going on with different people. I just think "yeah, it must be nice."

Ive been thinking about trying to see if he wants to meet up and hang out or something one friday night or weekend day. I just assume that he already has plans though and wont wanna do it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts