Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
All guys I know don't like shopping and a lot of men get their partners to
buy their clothes for them so don't feel too bad about it. Some people just hate shopping :) Maybe you could look only for styles of clothes suit you on-line?
Maybe images of actors/singers whos style interest you?
So you will have a better idea of what your looking for when you do go out?
Instead of wandering aimlessly

Clothes can be tailored so if you find some thing at a cheap price you could
possibly take them to get altered, can sometimes be expensive though!

Good luck..anyone else have some advice?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I needed clothes and my mom told my social worker I never go shop (ordered all my clothes or my mom picked it up) ... So yeah I went to go get clothes with the social worker today... but I pretty much liked nothing I looked through. It wasn't even that I didn't like anything actually, I would just feel stupid wearing it for some reason. I got a pair of jeans and pants, but now that I have them I don't even really like them... I think I just felt pressure to get something so I bought them. I also second guess every item I consider, and anything with writing I stay clear of...=x

The only thing I like wearing that I have atm are my jeans that I made into capris, my white vneck t's and a couple shirts I got from a tshirt art site... Pretty much hate the rest of my clothes... I should just get a bunch of sweat pants and big ugly sweaters, then no need to worry bout what to wear. =p

Sorry, no real advice there, but uh... I'd look for styles online like Girl said.

·
Registered
582 Posts
To be honest just go with clothing you like. I have never bothered following fashion trends or trying to impress people. I always pick something i like that fits well and feels comfortable. Just like personality, everyone has their own unique style at makes them different. There are some websites that will let you create an avatar of yourself and allow you to try on different clothing. Not sure how well it works but maybe it could provide some inspiration.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The next step is to not care!

I've known a lot of people who waste copious amounts of time and money on fashion only to throw the item into the cupboard never to be worn again. This doesn't really comply to logic with me as well as being completely uneconomical and wasteful. People always are striving to make some kind of statement with their style but I think if you're gonna go out clothes shopping the only thing to do is to just go in 'as yourself'; by yourself.

I've been out shopping with females before man, and believe me, it's not a nice experience. If they get the slightest hint of apathy, they start to PMS in your direction. I'd say just grab whatever feels comfortable and suits you unless you want to deal with resentment spending a bunch of money on clothes that 'somebody else' thinks will look good on you. I can't stress that last point enough. People are always going to have 'an opinion' about what they think looks good on you or whatever, but at the end of the day it is you that has to walk around the way you are and so you should just wear whatever makes you happy.

A quote comes to mind; 'he who trims himself to suit others soon whittles himself away...'

Another tip: I tend to go by the style of music I listen to these days. That helps the decision making process quite substantially.

·
Registered
55 Posts
im in the same boat as you BTW, i cant buy any clothes, it gives me a huge panic attack whenever i do. dont know why its like so normal, wahts wrong with buying clothes. what i do sometimes is like really hype myself up, rush into a store, pick upwhatever i can off the rack i like that looks like it fits and buy it and get the hell out of that store asap never to return again. that or i buy my stuff online. pathetic i know, but what can ya do, i've tried heaps of times to get over it its just one of my 10/10 anxiety situations (phone calls are another). i've tried going with friends too and that made it worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts