Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I take clonazepam occasionally for anxiety. Once or twice a week I take 1mg. Sometimes I go a week without taking any.

The last two weeks I've been taking 1mg twice a week.

I took 1 mg on Friday September 18 and another 1mg today. I may be facing a somewhat stressfull event this Thursday.

If I was to take another 1 mg on Thursday would that cause any risk of dependence?

I would like to set a limit of 1 mg of clonazepam once a week. But would twice a week be enough to cause dependence?

Thank you for your help!

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
It's impossible to say for sure. In some people, yes that could be enough, although it would probably take a while.

However, taking it this Thursday isn't going to make a difference if it's just this one time. But if you make it a habit, it will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thats pretty much how I've been taking it for a couple years. I might take 1.5-2 mg 3 times a week, or take none for 3 weeks at a time. I'm definitely not physically dependent on it, but psychologically I probably am. For example, if I ran out of it and needed some in the next couple hours I'd freak out.

I think I have built up a slight tolerance to it though. 1 or 1.5mg used to do the trick, but if I'm doing something really stressful (ie giving a presentation) I need 2mg nowadays.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a risk of dependence, but doubtfully at the level you are talking. I have been taking Clonazepam for about 8 years now, at the low 1 mg level you are taking.

In my mind, for me, it is an amazing medication. It works very well and I continue to take it as needed. My job dictates that I have to testify in court or speak in public at times and it really works at calming me. I worry about developing a tolerance more than dependence. I could see that because of the great job it does for me that using it each day, even when not needed would be appealing. The thing keeping me from over self-medicating is that I do not want to take any chances at losing my ability to get this filled by my doctor as needed...Good Luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone. I usually take clonazepam in the morning before I go to school or in the early afternoon.

I was thinking of maybe taking some today because I may be visiting a girl I am fond for and I want to be relaxed.

But if I do take it tonight or tomorrow I won't take any for a week at least!

Thanks everyone for your responses of how it has helped you. It definetly helps to neutralize my anxiety!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.