Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Is it violent? It looked violent from the previews?
It's not really violent at all (well, it has some moments, but nothing excessive... mainly just dialogue drama). I think they purposely market the scenes that are violent to make it look like "Dirty Harry is back!! 80 years old and still kicking arse!" I went in with this idea, but it was far from it really.

·
Looking for an argument
2,354 Posts
I'll have to check it out now, I'm a huge fan of Clint Eastwood's movies he never seems to disappoint.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Why would this movie make you feel more depressed ? Clint Eastwood is the kinda guy that pushes you to the brink of your S.A. its like exercising, you can only get stronger by going to the edge of your physical limit. You cannot make progress in S.A. without pushing yourself.

In the same way that having a personal trainer, helps with exercise, its the same way having someone purposefully pushing you to be more outgoing and bold ... is a good thing.

Yea ..we can sit back and say it was unrealistic, we can say "the kool girl would have never fallen for the boy that easily" but at the end of the day, every uplifting testimonial ( real of fictional ) can be looked at as lucky or unrealistic if you are cynical enough.

I for one, found the movie more uplifting than depressing. Even the end.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I loved this movie too, but it had the opposite effect on me. I felt depressed after because of the 1 scene where the Asian kid is in the basement with the other group of guys and girls and he's sitting there by himself detached. Eastwood's character is looking on in disappointment and sorrow for the kid who didn't ask the girl out...
I had the same reaction. I'm actually surprised that several SA guys are saying they found it to be inspiring or uplifting. I also saw a lot of myself in the kid, but the circumstances that led to his overcoming insecurity and awkardness were far-fetched at best. The hot girl obviously never would have actually been attracted to and willing to date him IRL, and the (admittedly hilarious) trials Eastwood put him through, like the barber shop scene, probably would have quickly ended in a total breakdown if I'd been in his place!

What's worse, I watched the movie with about five other guys, and all I could keep thinking as the movie went on was "well ****, they're probably gonna make a comment about this kid being me when I was younger!" :lol
I am watching this film after seeing this thread and I just got to this scene. I know exactly what you guys mean! Seeing that guy sitting in the corner by himself.. :| brought back - not so much specific memories - but just the feelings of being in that situation. I guess the feelings still linger even though my memories of those events are fading (or have been repressed, heh). One of the few times in movies where I could relate to a scene/character. I'm guessing that scene is a lot more evocative to people like us who have been in that situation and as a result already have a bank of emotion that this scene taps into.

And I was also thinking I'm glad I'm seeing this by myself haha, otherwise I'd have to worry about whether other people are thinking that I'm that guy too.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Girl here, I enjoyed it too. I actually went to see this in theater the day it came out - but I have to disagree, at first I thought the kid had SA but as the movie went on I started thinking he mostly just lacked confidence. Maybe he recovered too fast to be credible? I don't know.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I couldn't agree more. This movie motivated me to ask a girl out for the first time. She said no btw lol. Still a great movie though and that was a big step for me.:D

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
It's not really violent at all (well, it has some moments, but nothing excessive... mainly just dialogue drama). I think they purposely market the scenes that are violent to make it look like "Dirty Harry is back!! 80 years old and still kicking arse!" I went in with this idea, but it was far from it really.
Cool thanks
that makes sense

·
Registered
257 Posts
Excellent movie, just finished watching it!

I don't think Tao has SA, just lacking confidence. In either case, I definitely enjoyed the film and would highly recommend it. Thanks!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.