Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a Clint Eastwood film. Today I sat and watched Gran Torino on Cinemax.

And boy, this movie affected me in a way I cannot explain. To me this film is the most honest and brilliant teaching of how to fight bullying, overcome injustice, insecurities and just overall be a man. Clint Eastwood's Walt is the sort of old man that you wish you knew when you were growing up. You should see the way he deals with the shy-pathetic teenager next door. How Clint helps him overcome some of his S.A.

If you are an S.A. male, I recommend you watch this movie. I know its just a movie, but watching this really put me in a good mood.

I know this is a movie, but I put this in the Coping Forum, because I believe any book / article / movie that can make one of us feel better about himself .. if worth sharing with the community.
It has a great message, but is not overly preachy about it.
Watch it, it will boost your confidence, or at least be entertaining.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I loved this movie too, but it had the opposite effect on me. I felt depressed after because of the 1 scene where the Asian kid is in the basement with the other group of guys and girls and he's sitting there by himself detached. Eastwood's character is looking on in disappointment and sorrow for the kid who didn't ask the girl out. When Eastwood said that you have to take the world by the balls (or something along those lines) it reminded me of my uncle. I think its because I can relate to the Asian kid and after years of advice I still can't be man enough to approach girls. But yeah I will not watch that film again, not because it was bad but because it put a damper on my mood.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I loved this movie too, but it had the opposite effect on me. I felt depressed after because of the 1 scene where the Asian kid is in the basement with the other group of guys and girls and he's sitting there by himself detached. Eastwood's character is looking on in disappointment and sorrow for the kid who didn't ask the girl out. When Eastwood said that you have to take the world by the balls (or something along those lines) it reminded me of my uncle. I think its because I can relate to the Asian kid and after years of advice I still can't be man enough to approach girls. But yeah I will not watch that film again, not because it was bad but because it put a damper on my mood.
I had the same reaction. I'm actually surprised that several SA guys are saying they found it to be inspiring or uplifting. I also saw a lot of myself in the kid, but the circumstances that led to his overcoming insecurity and awkardness were far-fetched at best. The hot girl obviously never would have actually been attracted to and willing to date him IRL, and the (admittedly hilarious) trials Eastwood put him through, like the barber shop scene, probably would have quickly ended in a total breakdown if I'd been in his place!

What's worse, I watched the movie with about five other guys, and all I could keep thinking as the movie went on was "well ****, they're probably gonna make a comment about this kid being me when I was younger!" :lol

·
Banned
2,397 Posts
Is it violent? It looked violent from the previews?

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I thought it was a brilliant movie, but a little unrealistic like others are saying. Really heart-warming, and I liked the theme song played at the end.

My only complaint is how Walt's racial slurs continued, even after he had befriended the kid/family etc. It just became a bit bad taste at that point... even though it was perfect at the beginning.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.