Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
3.14 rocks!
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems many classes put an emphasis on classroom participation.

How do you handle this? Do nothing, talk to the professor, or squeak out some BS every now and again?

·
Registered
249 Posts
i always hated that shyte. how does being extroverted reflect the quality of your understanding? but unfortunately the professors get to make the rules. in classes where this applied i would usually just force myself to make a comment to the class every once and awhile... it shocked me how physical my reaction was (pounding heart, sweaty palms, feeling ill, etc) buuuuuut when it was over the next time would be a little bit easier. i think overall its better in the long run to force yourself to do it.

·
Banned
434 Posts
Okay this is the exact same freak out I have about this semester..one of my classes, PoliticalSci (which is way over my head, as I'm a science major), counts participation points as equivalent to one exam. That is a whole lot of malarkey...Especially when the class discussion is almost always dominated by the same 5 people.

·
Banned
434 Posts
I did like a 4 hour research on the Melian Dialogue to establish a link to certain current events, complete with compare and contrasts and chickened out at the last minute...Yeah the class participation thing is definitely bullshiite because I had said understanding, more that the ones that spoke, yet couldn't voice it because i had all these hang ups. Just not fair.

I sit at the front row, dead center. So I hope that counts for something

·
Registered
58 Posts
I usually got zero points for participation. When I told the professor about it, he just said I had to work on my problem. He didn't realised how hard it was for me. The grades didn't change.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only participate when I absolutely have to. Like if we are just having a discussion I am quiet, but if I have to get in front of the class I will do it. Its just really scary for me, but if you don't go up then people are going to look at you for not going up. Either way people are going to notice you, and unfortunately the only way we all can improve is by facing our fears. Good luck with your class.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I'm in the same boat since my class is pretty much about relationships. Participation is 25% of the grade. I think the best way is to blurt out an answer at least once a class session if you know the answer to it. At least that's what I'm gonna try to do in order to slide my way through it. It doesn't really help that my teacher is a therapist so I'm going to be paranoid that she's going to know all about me just through my actions in class. Also, she's probably around my age and is kind of hot.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I usually don't participate. It usually is only 5-10% of your grade. If you get A's on your tests and papers, you'll still get an A. It's some bull that just tries to scare students into thinking they have to participate to do get a good grade.

-family of professors.

·
I love my private room
27 Posts
all my classes is all about participation. luckily there are 70 students so not enough time for everyone to participate. What I'm dreading is the debate team and group projects that is coming up. yikes!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ive only had one class where this was necessary...I would ask an open ended question, and listen to the catholic guy and the hipster duke it out.

Actually, in my organic class now, the teacher calls on random students to answer questions.. we get 2 marks if we're there, and 3 if we answer it right... that is kind of nerve racking.. whenever he's looking through the list my heart drops. but it's not as bad as having to be the one to initiate.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
When looking at what qualities are most favored for getting a job, at the top of the list are communications skills, and ability to work as a team member. As much as we hate these sorts of things, it's actually far better to get used to them now, then go into interviews, and be unable to get any job, because your SA makes you seem like you won't be a good team member.

674 Posts
Might as well look at it as an opportunity to overcome your fears. As a challenge. I always freak out inside whenever I have to speak to go up and speak to the class and half the time I seem to make a complete fool of myself but it's for the better in the long run.

·
madly in love
2,433 Posts
this is precisely why i don't make participation part of the grade in the classes i teach ;)

when ive taken classes, ive usually just let my grades take the hit. like others said, its usually only a small portion of the grade.

once i had a class where a huge percentage of the grade was participation, so i came to class a few times slightly drunk .. that took care of that, i couldn't put my hand down! but i dont suggest it as a solution.

if your anxiety has been diagnosed, you could probably go to your university's disability support office and get some documentation that might let you off the hook .. not sure as ive never tried this myself, but it may at least get your instructor to take you seriously.

·
3.14 rocks!
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is precisely why i don't make participation part of the grade in the classes i teach ;)

when ive taken classes, ive usually just let my grades take the hit. like others said, its usually only a small portion of the grade.

once i had a class where a huge percentage of the grade was participation, so i came to class a few times slightly drunk .. that took care of that, i couldn't put my hand down! but i dont suggest it as a solution.

if your anxiety has been diagnosed, you could probably go to your university's disability support office and get some documentation that might let you off the hook .. not sure as ive never tried this myself, but it may at least get your instructor to take you seriously.
Lol, on the slighting intoxicate part. =) Just 1/2 a beer or whatever would be a 180 for me, quite noticeably.

For some reason I have no, well I should say little, issue with speaking in my Humanities class. It's a small class of 25, I sit front middle, and the thing is, besides the girl next to me, who is vocal, I don't know anyone in my class. I don't know them in the sense I don't notice them there, many of them look like a pack of rats uninterested in the Hellenistic period. Plus I really like the class, have a quick understanding of the material, and the prof is a nice warm lady. (makes a HUGE diff)

My english and math class is another story. I realized I am more vocal when am sitting closer to the prof, so I am going to move to, yep, upfront middle. Everyone behind me melts away. Besides, the only two people I want to impress is the prof and the cute girl. *blush*

But, no, it's not yet worth the hassle of documentation. (or cost) However, I am bipolar type II with ultradian which makes any situation with stress a roller coaster of two extremes. My BP caused me to drop out twice many years ago.

thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I've always had this problem...In my AP English class we had class discussions daily (it was pretty much what the entire class was) and around middle of the year I told my teacher after school that I had trouble speaking up because of my social anxiety (even though I wasn't yet diagnosed). He said he understood and thanked me for telling him. He asked me what I wanted to do about it and I ended up just writing a short paragraph about my opinion of the discussion and gave it to him after school. I ended up doing really well in the class because of this.

And sometimes just writing out my thoughts in class I was able to be more confident when I did speak up occasionally.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got called in in class today, and to make it worse it was at the end of the period, so i was what was stopping the rest of the class from leaving.
holy awkward.

and to make it worse, I got the question wrong.. but I think i reacted okay. My hand was shaking so badly when I went up to draw what I had to draw.. (equilibrium structures of cis 1,2-dibromocycloheptane, fyi)... but i figured out where I went wrong and I will probably do better on the midterm because of it.. so i feel good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.