Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of my professors place a huge emphasis on class participation. Its really hard for me because I cant just blurt out answers on the top of my head without sounding stupid. It takes me some time to process the information to give a valid answer. The other day I tried to blurt something out and I sounded like a complete a**. I just think that my grade shouldnt be heavily weighed on participation in class.

I take notes and actually listen to the lectures in class. I read the materials and complete my assignments like everyone else. There should be points for attentiveness. But I see people texting, on their laptops, sleeping and not paying any attention, but they participate and talk crap to the professor and get more points.?

·
Banned
1,138 Posts
I hate that. There are a number of classes where I would've done better in had I participated in class more. What makes it really hard is that you have to blurt out the answers, like you said. It's not like in elementary and middle school where you raise your hand and the teacher calls on you. Even that was hard to do but it was a little easier. At some point, I guess when I was in high school the teachers expected us to just blurt out the answers without raising our hands.

You could sit in the front row. That would make it easier for your professor to hear you. If you don't participate in class, you pretty much have to excel in the other areas of the course.

What percentage of your grade is the class participation?

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that its worth like 5% of our grade.

I thought about sitting in the front, but it makes me feel nervous and like the professor will be waiting for me to speak all the time. Its very intimidating. But I might have to do so if I dont improve.

·
Banned
1,138 Posts
5% isn't much. You could possibly get an A without participating

I'm scared of sitting in the front too. But it's good for a number of reasons. Besides making it easier to participate as I mentioned earlier, you can also focus more than if you're sitting in the back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I hate that so much. Depending on the day, I could either freeze up and blurt out a stupid answer or say something passable but be convinced that the way I said it was also stupid. This is why I hate english class, the teacher just loves to call out the most random students.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ugh, I hate class participation. I had an english class last year where we would have class discussions about three times a week and it was pure hell for me. It didn't help that there were only about ten kids in the class who were all ****ing geniuses and had absolutely no problems articulating their thoughts. My mind really just cannot function when I'm so nervous, I can't for the life of me think of anything intelligent to say and I feel like a complete moron. I don't understand how people can just think of something intelligent to say right on the spot, I need a lot of time to think. It really makes me wonder if I have some kind of learning disability or if its just SA thats making me stupid.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Class participation was a big issue for me too. During the first couple of years of university i hardly said anything during discussions. It was only worth 5 to 10% of the final grade and i could easily remain anonymous in a lecture hall with over 100 students. So it wasn't a big deal. But that changed during my last year when i had a few seminar courses where active participation was an integral part and expected of each student. The groups were also much smaller (around 15 to 20 students) and seating arrangement was u-shaped making for an extremely uncomfortable formation where students faced eachother while taking turns contributing to a given debate. It was pure torture.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wouldn't even be able to handle staying enrolled in a class like that. If I really had to, I would never be able to voluntarily speak up. I've had a hybrid class (lectures online, labs in person) where we had to participate in the online discussions. Even there, it felt awkward because we didn't have a specific format. The outgoing ones would often just post any random thing related to the class and get easy points, while I would post like once for every ten posts others made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts