Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
metamorphosis
7,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One time, in grade 6, it was my birthday and the class decided to sing Happy Birthday.

I just kind of sat there like "uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............"

It was scary. Who else has had this experience? All those people, watching, judging, singing about me. Oh my gosh. It's not fun people.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I never minded the actual singing - it was how my classmates all got so excited for their more popular friends, and they would sing really loudly and laugh and have fun... and then there were the people like me with only a few or no friends, and when they sang happy birthday, it was with NO enthusiasm, and some people just decided not to sing at all. That was always pretty rough.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Hate it...I hate it more in restaurants where the staff come around with some obnoxious clapping noisy version of the birthday song. Heaven help me if it comes with a goofy hat!

And, I get just as anxious on behalf of the birthday person (even if it isn't me) since I assume they are similarly mortified.

·
Irreversibly Invisible
4,095 Posts
This happened one time to one of my brothers. We were on the bus. His solution was to point to someone sitting next to him and act like it was that person's birthday instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts