Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
to be a better self.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just discharged from the hospital today with a prescription of 5mg of Lexapro. When I got to the pharmacist though, it wasn't covered by my insurance. Instead, it was substituted out for 10mg of Citalopram (Brand name: Celexa.)

Has any one have any experience with Citalopram or Celexa? I was hoping on getting a generic brand of Lexapro but it won't be out due to its patent which expires in March 2012.

My doctor told me that it would take at least a week or month for the medicine to work. I came into the hospital severely depressed and unstable. Once I calmed down, they started me on the medication. A few hours after taking it I felt a bit jittery, but my mind started to clear. I thought it was like a placebo effect, but I felt my mood elevated, almost elated! The jittery and gigglyness that the drug induced in me faded in about 3 days. I'm pretty calm in social situations. Before, in a setting with people, constant negative thoughts would drill at me. I would think they were judging me, I would think that they hated me. Thoughts thoughts are gone now though.

I found it so strange too...but hey, I'm feeling much better.

I plan to be independent of my medication in a few months too so I'm not too worried about long term side effects.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Has alot of side effects, lexapro the ssri with the least side effects and a faster onset of action is much better for most. Would you be able to afford 2,5mg? Some ppl have succes with that and dont need more then 50% transporter blockade, but now that your on celexa i would give that a try first.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
citalopram's the most selective and the most activating SSRI

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was just discharged from the hospital today with a prescription of 5mg of Lexapro. When I got to the pharmacist though, it wasn't covered by my insurance. Instead, it was substituted out for 10mg of Citalopram (Brand name: Celexa.)

Has any one have any experience with Citalopram or Celexa? I was hoping on getting a generic brand of Lexapro but it won't be out due to its patent which expires in March 2012.

My doctor told me that it would take at least a week or month for the medicine to work. I came into the hospital severely depressed and unstable. Once I calmed down, they started me on the medication. A few hours after taking it I felt a bit jittery, but my mind started to clear. I thought it was like a placebo effect, but I felt my mood elevated, almost elated! The jittery and gigglyness that the drug induced in me faded in about 3 days. I'm pretty calm in social situations. Before, in a setting with people, constant negative thoughts would drill at me. I would think they were judging me, I would think that they hated me. Thoughts thoughts are gone now though.

I found it so strange too...but hey, I'm feeling much better.

I plan to be independent of my medication in a few months too so I'm not too worried about long term side effects.
I am on Celexa for couple of weeks now. 10 Mg...once a day. It lifted me up from a heavy depression. It is not a magic pill though.

It took the heaviest edge of both my SA and depression , but in the background , they are stuill there.

The problem that i have with it mainly is Bruxism !!!:|

1 - 4 of 4 Posts