Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know the ideal dose? i'm on 10mg atm but i'm going back to see my doctor in a week and i'm unsure of what to ask of, i know i want my dose increasing because i've heard 40mg is used to treat sa? although i feel rude asking him to increase my dose as i'm not the expert, but on the other hand i don't want to go away with the same dose.

x

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
10mg is much to low, if you tolerate it try to get to 40mg ASAP. If you have good insurance, choose 20mg Escitalopram (Lexapro) instead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks! i agree i was really disappointed when i saw it was 10mg, as i did research on here before i went. do you think he'll say no if i ask to go up to 40 after being on 10? if not what shall i say?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Ask for 1 week on 20, 1 week on 30 and 40 from then on. Kind of a compromise and you will tolerate it better. Tell him that you have read much about SA and that 40mg Citalopram is the right dose. If he struggles, tell him about that friend of yours who took 20mg for 3 month without improvement, but when his Pdoc increased the dose to 40mg within weeks he was like a new person, be creative. ;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Doctors don't like being told what to do. Try telling him it's boosted you a little but nowhere near enough, and if he's anything but stupid, he will know what to do.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
10mg Citalopram is Placebo.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
40mg is your target dose, you and your (P)doc will get you there. I guess you have had untreated SA for years, so days or weeks won't make a big difference, will they?

·
Loser
207 Posts
tell him about that friend of yours who took 20mg for 3 month without improvement, but when his Pdoc increased the dose to 40mg within weeks he was like a new person, be creative. ;)
The "Friend Comment" is my favorite, it works wonder! :D

10mg citalopram are smarties. That's just a dose to start with. I take 40mg, less is nothing.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
btw medline, do you know if meds are given out by age/size?
In general very young and very old patients get lower doses of meds. Very heavy people higher doses and patients with low weight lower doses. But this is not always the case.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I can understand muscular people getting bigger doses, but isn't fat tissue sort of "solid"? Surely it wouldn't mean much more body fluid (thus less concentration of drugs), as muscle tissue does...

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
sucks for me being young and skinny..
You may need less mg of citalopram to get the same concentration in the blood and cns than other people with higher dosages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Medline, I think it's really unwise to advise people you don't know about what medications they should be taking and in what amounts- particularly with these kinds of medication. This is not aspirin; it effects our lives.

The wrong dose of an antidepressant/antianxiety medication can cause suicidal thoughts and deep depression. I notice you also didn't ask what other medications this person was on, which MAY have been a reason why they were prescribed such a low dose.

Radical, there is no "ideal" dose of a medication of this kind. Everyone's physiology is different. While 10mg is lower than I've ever heard of(my MD prescribed me 20mg of Celexa as a 'starter dose', I'm now on 30), it's important you be proactive if you have any doubts whatsoever about whether or not its going to work for you.

With ANY medication of this kind, it's important to give it a chance to work BEFORE you assume it's not going to work for you. It's dangerous to flip back and forth from medication to medication, from taking it to not taking it. You've lived with SA a long time, I'm sure. Be patient with yourself, give it at least 30 days to settle into your system, listen to how you're reacting and if its any different. DO NOT EXPECT MIRACLES. Medication doesn't change who we are, it only aids a change in our perception. But if you're still feeling depression and if you're not handling social situations with SOME ease(remember, it's not going to suddenly make you capable of starring in a musical), do talk to your doctor. Perhaps your dosage needs to be increased, perhaps you need a different medication, perhaps your doctor isn't inclined to prescribing medications for these issues- in which case, you need to find a new doctor.

Avoid making any snap decisions. Many people take quite a while to settle into the perfect medication for you and there is NO harm in going slowly. I've seen people rocket between medications until their meds made them worse than they would have been otherwise. Please be careful- and best of luck!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Starting with 10mg Citalopram is a waste of time. That's the point. It's just too low. 30 days on 10mg won't do anything. If I offended radicalA he may say it. If I did help him he may say it too.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I don't know if Citalopram is more or less harmful than Aspirin. Probably Aspirin.

·
Loser
207 Posts
Actually Bruce Lee was just allergic to Aspirin which caused to him to get a brain edema. Can happen with all meds.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
But I think Aspirin kills more people than Citalopram (via overdose, Reye's syndrome, misuse/overuse and resulting kidney failure with all it's complications, bleedings...). On the other hand it saves many lives (eg. baby aspirin for heart disease)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts