Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else feel less SA when they smoke cigarettes?
I lately discovered when in a public place, the nicotine no doubt helps 'cure' the issue.
Maybe not. It sure felt like it though!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Smoking cigarettes are like pretending to text on a cell phone. If I've got nothing else to do and don't want to look awkward standing there by myself, I'll bust out a cigarette.

Ok ok, maybe like 10% of the time I smoke in public is actually out of anxiety, but it does keep me busy and occupied. The stimulating effects of nicotine is probably helpful to those with SA.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If it's the nicotine that helps rather than the act of smoking (which gives you something to do in social situations), then couldn't you slap on a nicotine patch and avoid the cancer problem? I've never smoked, but I'm guessing it's a faster PRN nicotine delivery system than some patch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I smoke alot in social situations. I think because it is a distraction, and gives me something to do with my hands. I think we feel more relaxed also because the body is getting its drug it wants, after all it is an addiction. But for me, its a distraction, though I wish I could quit someday.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Helps socially. People ask me for a light. I enjoy that. I'm not addicted to cigarrettes though.

·
Registered
336 Posts
yea tobbaco is a good drug, atleast for the short term. If i did it everyday I would get anxious from it. But just for social situations it does work. relaxing buzz, that just sets u freeeeeeee. weeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I've been thinking of wearing nicotine patches for the buzz. Along with huperzine, I should be getting a decent mental boost.

·
Fitting In Here & There
808 Posts
I'm a typical Ex-smoker, so people may not like what I'm about to say...

I smoked from age 15-39, and believe me, smoking cigarettes (or wearing a nicotine patch) does NOT cure social anxiety. I do admit I thought at the time that I was using smoking to cope with a variety of things, but the point is, it isn't a successful coping strategy!

PS: Transdermal methods of getting nicotine like the patch or Commits (which I used) do NOT give you a rush or high like cigarettes do. They are made to give a low level steady dosage to you rather than the spiking and dropping cycle that cigarettes do which created the addiction in the first place.

And yes, smoking gives you something to do with your hands and mouth so you don't stand there with "nothing to do." But sorry to tell you, smoking makes you look like an idiot! It's not cool anymore--it's not the 1960s. :no

If anyone ever wants some encouragement or help to quit smoking please PM me or email me. I would love to try to help you with what info I have and give you support. :yes

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I don't usually smoke, but I was so upset with work today that I did have a cigarette when I got home to calm me down (I keep a pack at home in case I get really stressed out).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Smoking cigarettes are like pretending to text on a cell phone. If I've got nothing else to do and don't want to look awkward standing there by myself, I'll bust out a cigarette.
I do the same thing. I dunno if it helps with SA but it defiantly distracts me and makes me feel less awkward in public.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I find cigarettes help tremendously. I intentionally smoke very rarely so as not to get addicted. Every time I smoke i feel like it's my first time. I know what satisfying a craing feels like, and the high I get is not that feeling. I smoke max once per month.

I can see how if you smoke regularly, it would make you worse...the anxiety would increase until you satisfy your craving, and it wouldn't really do much except cancel out the craving.

I don't smoke socially. If I am very stressed, and haven't smopked in a while, i will go someplace secluded and smoke. Well, because I don't want anyone to see me smoking :).

It works for me quite well, but it's only temporary, and every time I smoke i feel like I am suddenly going to burst out into lung cancer or throat cancer, or mouth cancer...

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I tried cigarettes recently just to "experiment" (I know, pretty stupid experimenting at age 25). I actually found I didn't like them very much. I even gave it a fair trial run with a few packs They made me lightheaded but didn't significantly reduce anxiety. Actually, I think they increased anxiety if anything.

Alcohol is my vice of choice. One thing I did discover is that alcohol intensifies the effects of nicotine, so I do actually enjoy the combination (explains why many alcoholics are also smokers) Other than that, I don't really enjoy smoking. All for the better, nicotine is extremely addictive because of the withdrawal symptoms.

·
Hear, See , Be silent
1,421 Posts
When I quit smoking my SA seemed to get worse. Still glad I quit though so I can suffer more years of life :]_

Reactions: Patriot

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Yeah, def smoking helps. I wish I could smoke, I love it, but they're just not healthy so I've completely quit.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It certainly does help, but not for a very long time. The only time I'm ever interested in smoking is at social situations or at the club or whatever. Gives you something to do, makes you look meaningful and less boring.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts