Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It could just be side effects of malnutrition, as I'm a junk-food-aholic, but stil... Yesterday I experienced really weird feeling. I was conscious, sitting, feeling hot and cold at the same time, feeling like I couldn't move even though I could, with just a rush through my head. It was pretty severe -- last time I experienced that was in May, when I was on the South Beach Diet...

I get milder feelings of the same thing, but usually it's sort of a "deja vu" type thing. But yesterday I got the one big episode, plus a bunch of little ones all day long. I looked up "chronic deja vu" online, and it could be that I have (GASP) a brain problem -- possibly temporal lobe epilepsy, with the episodes being minor/partial seizures. I don't want to jump to conclusions. I think it may just have been malnutrition. But that scares me...

Does anyone experience seizures or have epilepsy, or get deja vu a lot? I'd love to feel a bit less alone on this topic.

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I get dejavus all the time, at least 3 times a week, most of them are flashbacks from my childhood, or some memorable movie I saw.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I take an anti-convulsant for Bipolar that works heavily on the temporal lobes and haven't experienced deja vu since starting the medication. I remember experiencing it often before starting the medication, and on top of that bipolar and TLE overlap by a large amount. I've read multiple times that a neurologist might diagnose you with TLE while a psychiatrist might diagnose you with BP when you complain about the same symptoms.

The thing that really freaks me out is I'm certain I posted in this thread several hours ago, but my post history clearly shows I didn't.

edit to say I have a long history of seizures like symptoms, but none have ever been severe enough for me to go a doctor about. Every few months I have extreme weakness and/or numbness in some fingers of my right hand and extreme dizzyness phases. Sometimes I see tiny specs of what look like silver glitter falling and I'll become unable to support myself for a few seconds. Almost blacking out and having my vision turn into tunnel vision seems to follow this one almost every time.

Random rapid eye movement hits me for multiple hours every 6 months or so too. I've been experiencing this one in a less severe form very frequently lately, but thankfully my eyes have only been moving back and forth out of control for a few seconds at a time every few days.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your comments. I'm going to wait and see. If I get another one of those episodes, I'll mention it to my doctor. I have a feeling it may just be malnutrition, right now. I hope that's all it is...

XOXO
Maggi

·
Registered
170 Posts
You could try taking a multivitamin if you don't already. I would suggest cutting them in half since excess values of some vitamins and minerals can be toxic. And if you can find vitamins that don't contain iron, or at least a very low daily dose of iron, in them these are even better because excess iron is stored in the liver. Taking them with food is the best way to ensure your body can make use of the vitamins. If you drink tea I would suggest not taking vitamins with tea because tea somehow blocks the body from absorbing vitamins from vegetable sources if both are consumed in the same meal, according to the kinesiology course I took several years ago anyway.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, and all this time I thought tea was good... Good advice, thank you!! I'm a big tea drinker; I guess I'll have to stagger my drinking of it with my food or pills. Also, I doubt I'll have an overabundance of iron; sometimes I'm borderline anemic...

xoxo
Maggi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to say i have right temoral lobe epilepsy and get deja vu alot for me its a type of siezure..so things that arent really familiar seem to be...also for me i also get another type that makes things that are familiar seem like they arent

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I know that low blood sugar can cause seizures, so it's possible. Temporal lobe epilepsy is really specific though. Hmm, interesting. My guess would be it's just one of those idiosyncratic 'things' that happens to people, maybe not an seizure per se (although what defines a seizure can be tricky to pin down).

I'm on Topamax (anticonvulsant, especially helpful for temporal lobe epilepsy) and, now that I think about it, I really haven't experienced much (if any) deja vu since I've started taking it.

I (and many other people I've talked to) get those weird, all-over 'body shivers'. Where I just suddenly have to shiver or tighten all of my muscles in my body for a short amount of time. It reminds me of a myoclonic seizure in its manifestation, but it's very short. It's not in response to cold or any stimuli that I can figure out. The brain is a weird thing, to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts