Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...e-street-sweeper-refuses-to-give-up-work.html

Basically, I think she's hit the nail on the head regarding the horrible feelings I've been having for a very long time and why I can't break out of my destructive monotonous routine and stop bad habits.

She said:
"Work is not just about the salary, it makes one focused. Laziness gives rise to all sorts of bad habits."

That's exactly what I've been feeling. Since finishing college the best part of 2 years ago, I've been finding it ever harder and harder to do anything at all. It's almost counter-intuitive at first: You'd think doing very little would mean when something did come up that you'd have plenty of time and energy to do it, but it makes sense if you consider that not riding a bike makes you worse at riding a bike and so if you're not doing things much... it's harder to do things because you're not used to it.

Sometimes it's almost like your problems expand to fit the "space" you give them. e.g. Has anyone ever felt like some problems (or just things you have to do but might be hesitant about) have been easier to deal with when you have bigger problems or a lot of problems? But then if you only have 1 relatively minor problem, you might put it off for days or weeks because you're completely focused on it and it becomes an obsession?
I definitely notice that. Like maybe you're afraid of getting a haircut. To take an extreme example, maybe your parents die in a car crash and you need to get a haircut to go to their funeral (I did say it was extreme). All of sudden you hardly give a **** and the haircut is quite easy, yet somehow it was so big before but here you are doing the same thing with ease.
Or just generally having multiple things to do sometimes.

Like she said, work keeps you focused. It keeps you moving along, it gives you a routine, it gives your life some kind of structure and perhaps meaning, and it even gives you the kind of tiredness and stress that makes going home and relaxing not only enjoyable... but probably possible in the first place.
I can't relax anymore. I just can't. I'm stressed most of the time but I have nothing really to relax from. It was completely different in school or even college.

Problem is now: I am where I am. That makes it very complicated for me to change myself. I just need to get lucky for a short time maybe while trying really hard. I feel like I'm very deep in this though, so I have a really screwed up perspective and probably have a distorted view of what "normal" life is like (at least pertaining to getting a job).

For a long time now, I've just been drifting and going mad. The human brain wasn't made for this and it's no wonder if it malfunctions quite severely.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that link-yeah, I definitely agree with your thoughts here. It's super easy to isolate and get caught up in not going out and avoiding. The more you go out, the more habituated you get to being around people, the less threatening you will sub-consciously perceive them.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, and it's true of even the simplest of things. It's almost scary how much habit and routine determines at least my own life.

I suppose the positive side of that is that if you got into constructive habits then you'd probably feel anxious when you WEREN'T doing something worthwhile and it might become very hard for you not to be productive.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Sorry to say but that Chinese lady is irrational. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to spend her time supervising her real estate investments or working on other investments instead of making a few dollars sweeping streets?

But yes, it's good to keep busy. Idle hands are the devil's playthings. But this lady is taking it too far.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might be right. Still, I guess she just likes that job and feels that it's contributing more to her well-being than spending that time looking at srs bsns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Humans are programmed to "overdo" a lot of things that end up not feeling so good after some time.

People are inclined to laziness, though they're happiest when working.

Inclined to eat unhealthy food, though they're at their best when eating healthy.

Lots of men masturbate a lot, though they feel better when they do it sparingly

Lots of sex, though occasional sex tends to be optimal

etc.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And here I am... procrastinating on SAS again... when I should and really could be doing something useful :roll.

I never learn anything.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
Sorry, I think this lady is upside the head. She's been brainwashed by the old communist propaganda. She's doing her daily routine of judging her lazy children. That's what the old guard used to do, judge and keep watch of each other in the animal farm. She does have a point about even wealthy people should be involved in something. But the fact she's still doing that job either means 1) she's not that rich, or at least she doesn't think she is in order to take care of her "lazy" children. and has lots of expenses and debts at home. Who knows maybe she spoils her kids with Apple products etc. but it's all part of her neurosis to reinforce her personal daily fight to prove her ideology. 2) She's very uneducated and her worldview has been contained her all her life. She knows nothing about business or how the world works and think her work which is a slavery job is an ideal for her social class because she's never fit in the more sophisticated class in the first place. Communist China has kept the peasant class in the outlier regions of the country at a severe ignorant state for decades. There are fine educational institutions in the Beijing area but of course for the party elite who have spent the decades lying to the public but keeping their own oligarch society wealthy and highly educated with several properties owned in the U.S. and many family and children living there and educated at the finest universities. This poor lady doesn't have much else to hold on to. She needs to learn how to get into real estate but probably needs a basic education first and is at this point maybe too proud to admit it. She got rich because the hypocritical government (doing an about face on historical policy of keeping the ignorant masses in poor work camps or farms. probably some bribed official was making a cut from the property deal) was expanding the development of the city into her old property.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts