Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My speech ability has really taken a nose dive over the last the last few years it seems. I stutter, slur, and mispronounce a lot of words.

I thought maybe it was because the muscles in and around my mouth don't get enough use from how little I talk.

So I thought maybe chewing gum would possibly strengthen those muscles?? Anyone know if this will possibly help? So far I've been chewing gum everyday for about a week now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gum as an effective speech therarpy practice

Hi John, I'm a senior biology student and just finished my experiment on this very subject. I'm not a speech therapist by any means and the experiment only tested 3 subjects total, so take take this into consideration.

Speech therapist today do actually implement chewing gum as a speech therapy tool. Many of the same muscles that are used in mastication are also employed in speech production. So, by articulating you jaw, lip, and tongue muscles during gum chewing, you are in fact excercising the same muscles used for verbal communication. Weak muscles of these parts often result in slurring and decrease the clarity of speech, so yeah, chew gum! It will help with those mumbles! IT also soounds like it's phsycological thing as well. So, slow down, take a deep breath and good luck!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Doesn't chewing gum prevent cavities? Personally, I would try it, but I wouldn't stop there as your only means to get through your speech problems.

Good luck!

·
Banned
7,511 Posts
Singers and actors sometimes do exercises before they go on stage.

Sometimes it is saying tounge twisters. Somes just exercising vocal ranges. Try looking for some like these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts