Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Temporarily stationary
1,486 Posts
That is a really interesting coping mechanism.

I'll give it a try and respond back. I don't have extreme anxiety in the moment though, most of it is anticipatory and after the fact so it might not really help me specifically.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've seen someone on another non SA related forum say that he put labels on things while practicing being in the 'Now' throughout the day. So I guess that's what you're doing.

Another thing I read is when you're anxious, instead of labeling the emotion/feeling as "I'm nervous" or 'I'm scared", you label the physiological happenings of your body. So you're heart starts racing, you say "my heart heart is racing", shallow breathing "breath is shallow", etc. This way you don't identify with the emotion but with your body and apparently it's easier to calm down.

I don't know if it works or not, I'll try it if I remember but since you're already labeling things, this technique might work for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another thing I read is when you're anxious, instead of labeling the emotion/feeling as "I'm nervous" or 'I'm scared", you label the physiological happenings of your body. So you're heart starts racing, you say "my heart heart is racing", shallow breathing "breath is shallow", etc. This way you don't identify with the emotion but with your body and apparently it's easier to calm down.
Useless tricks.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Useless tricks.
Are you basing this from experience or just your opinion?

The OP's advice might be a 'useless trick' for some, but for him it works.

Yesterday I remembered to try what I wrote up there. It seemed to work but it wasn't an overly stressful situation so it might have been a fluke. I'll keep testing it out. It made me laugh on the inside which took away some of the tension.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you basing this from experience or just your opinion?
Based on my personal experience, the most effective thing to do is to take control of your thought process in periods of anxiety. For example, when you pass by a group of people and automatically feel anxious, chances are there's some sort of reasoning that's responsible for that anxiety, like for instance, you think they are looking at you and judging how you look. This reasoning can be conscious, or unconscious or both. When it's conscious you either say to your self something (they're all looking at me) or you see an image in your mind, and so on. However, when it's unconscious, it can be caused by a trauma, or by a simple conditioning experience.

However, when you consciously take control of your thoughts to come to realistic and logical conclusions about the nature of risk in the particular situation, your brain will tend to calm down.

Honestly, this method, which is usually called cognitive therapy, is the most effective and helpful thing I've com across so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Changing focus will work, try looking around and focus on another thing when anxiety happen, focusing not on yourself , not on other, but on object around you. I put object to focus is for starter, because all our anxiety happening because we worry/fear(emotion) on what other is thinking of us(but its always 100% not a fact , its just our thought.

eg when you buying food, focus on the food , when you walking focus on the flower/bird .

how do it work? it change your thought.

To cure anxiety ? the only way is to change your thought, AND ITS HARD BECAUSE THOUGHT IS A HABIT EG 10YEARS OR MORE HABIT.

u have to face it, think deeper pin point to the main worry(like a mind-map).

perhaps doctor don't wanted tell us because they wanted make money from us.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Based on my personal experience, the most effective thing to do is to take control of your thought process in periods of anxiety. For example, when you pass by a group of people and automatically feel anxious, chances are there's some sort of reasoning that's responsible for that anxiety, like for instance, you think they are looking at you and judging how you look. This reasoning can be conscious, or unconscious or both. When it's conscious you either say to your self something (they're all looking at me) or you see an image in your mind, and so on. However, when it's unconscious, it can be caused by a trauma, or by a simple conditioning experience.

However, when you consciously take control of your thoughts to come to realistic and logical conclusions about the nature of risk in the particular situation, your brain will tend to calm down.

Honestly, this method, which is usually called cognitive therapy, is the most effective and helpful thing I've com across so far.
Fair enough. I'm aware of CBT. The technique I mentioned is more aligned with Eckhart Tolle and being in the Now, being aware of your body and what it's doing without putting emotional labels onto what is happening. Apparently this makes it easier to shift into a different state.

But if the OP's technique works for him, there's no need to change it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts