Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Cell phones disrupting colleges

832 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  DeeperUnderstanding 
#1 ·
People with cell phones are driving me nuts. I have trouble concentrating on my homework at home, so I have been trying my college's library. The first four times, I've had rude people engage in cell phone conversations while I'm studying. I grew up going to librarys, so it is hard for me to understand why these people don't realize that a library is a quiet place. I find it very hard to read a textbook while some moron is having a cell conversation right next to me. I try to find study areas where this is not going on, but one of these people will come along and sit near me anyway. I could tell them off, but they seem to vastly out number me. The other people studying seem to be indifferent to it. My parents have suggested that I tell the librarians, but I doubt it would make a difference. I'm sure they are aware of the problem anyway. Even if the college started an official policy against cell phones being used in class and the library, I doubt it would work. Hell, the ban on smoking on campus, didn't work very well.

In the library, I've also seen people yell to each other. They are too stupid to think of walking up to the person before talking. They would rather just yell across the whole library. I am not overexaggerating this. Literally, they see someone they know, from a distance, and yell to get their attention.

Also, I can't think of a course where cell phones have not gone off during a lecture. How hard is it to turn off a damn cell phone or set it to vibrate? I could understand an occasional accident, but as often as this happens the majority are not accidents.They are just self-centered and think the rules don't apply to them. Every professor has said they have rules against cells ringing during class. I have yet to see a teacher actually take action.

I have to watch for these people while driving around campus as well. They'll be texting as they walk. They won't even look before crossing a road.

Has anyone else's campuses been taken over by inconsiderate people? I'm going to a community college. Do you think that plays a role? I'm not going to bother doing homework in my college's library anymore. It is a waste of time. My city's public library seems much better anyway. The lower floor, without computers, is usually quiet. The librarians and other workers actually seem to care when people are causing disturbances.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah that does sound pretty annoying. I've started bringing my ipod if I'm going to try to work in the library so I can drown out the people talking (it seems to be unavoidable!).

Either that or earplugs might help muffle the noise.

#4 ·
"technology has surprised humanity," Albert Einstein. I would just ask them politely to refrain from the volume or I would just leave.

#5 ·
Earplugs are an idea that I didn't consider.

"I would just ask them politely to refrain from the volume or I would just leave."

There is one study area where there are desks with dividers between the seats(kind of like a miniture cubicle). I was going to ask one girl if she had mistaken these for phone booths :D . She didn't even seem to be studying. She just sat down and started making one call after another.

The leaving option dosen't seem to work. When I move, someone else comes along with a cell phone. I've tried other parts of the school. The only places I can study in peace are in my car and maybe the nature trail. These options don't work so well during certain typs of weather :(

#6 ·
Last week some guy was talking on his cell loudly in the library. Finally an entire row of people shushed him. Half the library (me inlcuded) cheered.

Boy did he look upset.

#8 ·
Yeah, that's definitely annoying... what annoys me even more is when a professor answers their cell phone. We'd be in the middle of a lecture and they'd stop to talk on the phone... grr. Some people just seem to lack basic manners.

Haha sounds like a movie scene :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.