Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Lexapro works better than Celexa? I take Celexa (40mg) and I would say it decreases my SAD and depression about 50%. That's pretty finde I think. But would Lexapro probably do a better job?

· Registered
2,404 Posts
It was meant as a patent trick, but Lexapro is really somewhat better than Celexa. Lexapro and Zoloft are considered the best new antidepressants.

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Sure, that's the "trick" I was talking about, staying in the game and making more money. ;)

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Would it be clever to give it a shot although Celexa works pretty good? Side effects would the same, right?
It would be clever IMHO, the Lexapro dose must be 50% of the Celexa dose. Side effects should be lower with Lexapro as it is more selective.

· Loser
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Urgh, I searched a little bit on the internet about differences and read Lexapro has more sexual side effects and increased anxiety... i hope that are individual cases, I would hate the first one ;) . I also read Celexa (unlike Lexapro) has a substance that helps you sleep through the night which could cause the drowsyness, is that true?

· Registered
2,404 Posts
Lexapro is somewhat better in general that's all I can say. It's highly unlikely that Lexapro has more sexual side effects side effects and causes (more) anxiety than Celexa (in the first weeks), it's the same product - just much more selective/cleanish.

· Memorial Profile
38,514 Posts
It was meant as a patent trick, but Lexapro is really somewhat better than Celexa.
Lexapro is the active isomer of Celexa. This means they cut the molecule in half right before patent expiration and got a new patent for their "new" drug that's nothing more than half of their old drug.

My psychiatrist actually thinks Celexa is better, having less side effects than Lexapro -- I guess the drug rep failed to scrub hard enough when trying to brain wash him.

I've tried Lexapro, but not Celexa so I can't compare the two. I won't be trying Celexa since if the active isomer of Celexa doesn't help it seems impossible that adding on an inactive part would make it work.

· Registered
2,404 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.