Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some people on this forum are magic players, and maybe some hearthstone players. I play hearthstone a lot but I'm still not so good at it. I was wondering if anyone could try to explain the theory behind creating decks, control/aggro/midrange/combo/etc, how to play each card and when... Or have any resources for understanding it? Some websites compile highly rated decks but when I try to modify them to fit the cards I have or try to change them to fit the current meta I always **** things up.

·
raWr
142 Posts
I read a lot on the subject regarding MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers, Wizards of the Coast's online, digital-only alternative to Magic:Online (Coded/developed by Stainless Games, available on Steam & Android).

Despite the lack of "true" deck building options, you do unlock cards and can customize decks that way. Users on Wizards' official forums have made countless theory-crafting threads and discussions on each pre-built decks and their extended options. The focus of Duels is to teach newer players the game, not really deck building but that's what forums are for.

http://community.wizards.com/forums/102241

Edit: sorry I see you have investigated deck building sites. Lists are one thing, explanations and meta-play are another.

Other subforums of course on the same site deal with physical MTG, and other websites. Hearthstone, I imagine, has many of the same archetypes and strategies. I haven't played much of it.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
Ergh I both love and hate HS. I hate it cause I lose all the time but I love it cause its actually really fun! >.<

·
Registered
648 Posts
The concept behind it is put in cards that play off each other to create combos to optimize your turns. Also, utility cards like silence or returning a creature to someone's hand are always good. The basic point of any deck of hearthstone or magic is to be able to do something meaningful at every turn with all your mana. Hearthstone is easier since there is no possibility of casting during your opponent's turn other than secrets, but that's still casting it using mana on your turn. And a lot of making your turns count is made up of being able to fit in utility cards along with all your other power cards in the later turns. It's going to hurt them infinitely more to spend 3 mana killing an 8/8 on turn 10 rather than a 2/2 on turn 2. There's also the rush builds, like the rogue cards are set up for, also mage. Basically just murder them with damage until they die. Rogue uses a lot more combos to do it, though.

·
Introvert
232 Posts
I like hearthstone too i recently got in to it, i got my warlock deck with very low mana costs so i can pretty much overwhelm the enemy with minions. So far ive encountered many different types like freeze deck ( freezes u until they cam cast a very strong spell) , zoo deck ( very low mana cost ) and others like giant / handlock , murlock deck. In the arena to help me choose cards i pick cards depending on its value and how independent it can be. Value can be determined by its mana , health , attack and skill. Say like a card with 3 mana cost with 3 attk 4 health thats +1 value. Skillwise its good to have silence , taunt , divine shield. Spellwise there are some must have depending on the character , and something that could help maintain the board clean. I also pick cards that synergise well with my character like a mage and a card with enrage , i could hit it with my character skill and make the card activate its enrage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts