Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I once had two cats, Midnight (12) and Nala (14). They did not like each other at all. When I first introduced Midnight to Nala, there was lots of hissing and fighting, but as time went on they tolerated each other.

Last year Nala was diagnosed with diabetes. Unfortunately she stopped eating and I had to put her to sleep in February. Since Nala died, Midnight has been acting strange. She has gotten "old" - she sheds more, her hair is more coarse and she won't go outside anymore. All she does is sleep and she will cry more than she used to. Midnight used to act like a kitten or a dog, but she is just a shell of her former self now. It is strange because Midnight never liked Nala and you would think she would prefer not having another cat around. If I ever got a new cat it would probably be the same all over again.

I think my cat is depressed... anyone else have a similar situation?

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I don't know if the fighting and hissing means they hated each other, it could be the opposite. My cats fight all the time and the older one hisses at the younger one but I can they love each other. she seeks him out to fight and he watches and learns from her every move. They almost never lie together but they would be lost without each other, so yes perhaps your cat is depressed.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
well, my cat WAS depressed, but he died... just try making your cat comfortable. give her treats, sit and cuddle with her, brush her a lot if she likes that. she's kind of old, so probably introducing her to a new cat would be a bad idea. if you're planning on getting another cat, you might want to wait until midnight is gone.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
aw :( whenever i have owned two pets, and one has died, you can really notice how much the living pet misses the companionship and friendship of the deceased pet. (it must even be so confusing to them when another has suddenly gone :/)

i have four cats and one dog. three of the cats stay on the ground floor, but one of them, Freckles, stays on the third floor in my mum's room. i've had her for about 12 or 13 years, i got her as a gift for christmas, but ever since we moved in the new house in 2004, she somehow just couldn't cope with the change, as well as another cat (her sister) being put to sleep soon after we moved. since we got the dog in 2006 she is just TERRIFIED of everyone. my mum would feed her up there but sometimes i'd go up and pet her (it honestly happens once every 3 months when i can actually touch her) and she'd be all bones because she's too afraid to eat. :(
she's still very scared of everyone, but yet she yearns for any contact. its odd, but i barely see her, maybe once every few weeks to a month even though i see the other pets every day. if i go to my mum's room she's hiding, but if she's on the bed she will meow then i slowly go up to her and she darts away :( she definitely has social anxiety, no doubt (er wait, feline anxiety? :p). i feel like i'm neglecting her compared to the others, and even when i try to give her attention and she meows like crazy she runs away (though, my mum gives her attention when she's around her so she's not completely alone).
actually, the other day i got home and went to the washroom and she was there hiding in the curtains! it was SO weird, since in the past 5 years i've only a couple times seen her anywhere below the 3rd floor. and it almost feels unfamiliar to just see her up close since i'm so used to seeing the other cats but i'm never within a few feet of her when i see her. this is the pet we've by far had the longest yet she's still scared of everything and everyone and has never adapted. :( it felt really nice to see her (she was there because she was afraid of the vacuum that my mum had used). i grabbed her in my arms (she struggles away usually because she hates being touched) and brought her to my room where it is safe but she still ran under my bed, even though i waited for a long time for her to come out so i could pet her. she is rarely in my room, so it may have been new to her... but its much safer than the rest of the house since there are never any pets around. she was there for about 45 minutes and it was only when i opened my door when she left from under the bed and ran upstairs to the 3rd floor.
it breaks my heart to see Freckles live in fear and isolate her self all the time, since i obviously know what that is like. i almost feel really guilty about it because out of the pets i have now she is the one i've had the longest yet i pay attention to the others way way more. i try, though, she's just always on edge and so sensitive. :sigh
last week when i was watching tv with my mum, her boyfriend, and my brother, i was telling them about when i had seen Freckles the day before in the bathroom and brought her in my room. we were talking about how she always meows for attention yet when we try to pet her she runs away. they thought it was SO strange for someone to want it yet push away, like they completely couldn't understand how someone could be like that. my mum's B/F said "it's like.. borderline personality disorder", my mum: "hah, yea that is true", i said "well... actually... that would be avoidant personality disorder, not borderline... but yea, you have the right idea", B/F: "mmhm". lol, good thing they didn't ask me more about how i knew the diagnosis for AvPD so well :p (though i know the DSM-IV well anyway).

OOPS, sorry for the novel/going off topic. that is very sad to hear of your cat being depressed. are you home and around her often enough?
most of the time when a new cat, or just a pet, is introduced to the house and around the other it begins with a lot of conflict. its natural, since so many animals always defend their territory, and even want to have the most attention from their "master" (you). maybe you can try getting another cat? at first it's always hard but eventually Midnight would hopefully really appreciate the friendship and extra company for when you aren't there. maybe look for a cat who is more subdued and less aggressive? good luck, i hope she gets better :)

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
Maybe it is something medical... you could call your vet and let them know what the situation is and if it is something that is possibly being caused by a medial condition...

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It's a power struggle to be lead cat.

I do think my stepcat has issues - could be mental. He eats like Garfield, and hisses at me. I hiss right back at him. Senility, maybe. The last time I saw him, he was okay toward me. That was odd. He probably could sense that my dad is gone :(.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Growing up we had these two cats that were from the same litter. The one cat ended up going down to the basement and died behind the furnace. The other cat cried for it for many days after. She ended up dying a few weeks after in the same place of the other cat did. I would imagine cats grieve just like humans do when they lose someone close.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and anecdotes.

I think it's more of Midnight missing the fact that Nala was just always there, in her little space in the basement. They hated each other. I never once caught them being friendly towards each other. I thought that Midnight would like being the top cat in the house but she's just depressed and weird. I've seen how she acts around other cats (pretty nasty) so I don't want to add another cat to her life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts