Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God, I hate this. Family, I'm OK with, but I can't ever gauge when it's appropriate otherwise. When we get together with friends, guys will hug my fiance, but I rarely hug any of the girls. I don't feel it's my place to initiate, because I'm afraid they'll back off or think "why is this guy touching me?"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, casual hugging is weird. I don't like being hugged it make me very uncomfortable. And no matter how hard I try to avoid it people keeping doing it to me.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
God, I hate this. Family, I'm OK with, but I can't ever gauge when it's appropriate otherwise. When we get together with friends, guys will hug my fiance, but I rarely hug any of the girls. I don't feel it's my place to initiate, because I'm afraid they'll back off or think "why is this guy touching me?"
Where do you live? It's different in different cultures. When I visited France it was great, because everybody kissed each other 3 times on the cheek as a greeting. So much warmer than America...

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I'm like that as well. I think I know why it's hard for us, but I can't put it into words right now because my brain is still half asleep atm.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I hate it when people invade my personal space. I used to live in Germany, and it was really bad there because acquaintances insist on hugging you when they see you, and sometimes even want to give you a kiss on the cheek O.O I would always try to keep them at bay by sticking out my hand for a handshake. People thought I was weird, but oh well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh man a kiss would be even more awkward...and unsanitary. Handshaking is unsanitary enough. Girls my age greet each other with hugs which for me is a huge invasion of personal space and makes me really uncomfortable. It's awkward too a lot of times, especially if there are size differences in the person you're hugging. It's funny, I don't think I've ever actually hugged the one person who is my best and longest friend. (It's like Grey's Anatomy last night with Meredith and Christina, if anyone watches, where all the guys are hugging and they are wondering what the deal is and eventually awkwardly hug.) I just don't like to show my love that way...at least not with every single person I meet or know. Hugs should be for intimate acquaintances only, not in a casual scenario.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts