Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
i don't know if this counts but i had to take the same car with coworkers every day for six months at a job i worked once. It was really far and took 45-60 minutes to get there. sense it was early in the morning i just slept through most of it.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I only carpooled in one of those big cargo vans, so it wasn't that bad since there were other people who carried the conversations.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
I only carpool with family to birthdays or gatherings/holidays when we all have to meet up at someone's house. Usually five of us will get into one van. That's about it though......

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't carpool but I hate riding in cars with people because there's so much pressure to talk. Suggestions: Have the music up a little bit louder than usual so that it's not silent ... also, think beforehand of a few topics to talk about.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I had to carpool with some workers a couple a times for training in another town. It was kind of bad since it was only me and the other person each time. If it was a bigger group it would be much easier to be quiet and just blend in. But yeh, pretty awkward conversation both times. I tried desperately to think of topics. One was pretty conversational on their own, but the other was pretty shy as well so it was like double the awkwardness. I also didn't drive cause I would be nervous anyway and I dunno I would feel kind of like I'm being watched.

But like others have said I would try to come up with topics beforehand so you sort of have a plan to what to talk about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts