Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the legal status of Carisoprodol in the UK? From what I have read it's a prodrug of the minor tranquiliser meprobamate and the uk has a habit of not making prodrugs illegal. Has anyone has any experience with this drug?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
IMHO it's better to use benzos instead of Carisoprodol / Meprobamate for anxiety (if a GABAergic substance is necessary), but those drugs could be used for benzo withdrawal if Phenobarbital / Primidone is not available.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What's the difference between the two and how do they differ from benzos? My understanding is Soma is a muscle relaxer and meprobamate is the metabolite of Soma. A friend gave me meprobamate when I threw my back out but it didn't seem to help much.

BTW, benzos are not illegal in England but the NHS won't cover Xanax (you need to get it on private prescription.)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Benzodiazepines are a class C drug, it's illegal to posess a class C drug without a pescription.

What's the difference between the two and how do they differ from benzos? My understanding is Soma is a muscle relaxer and meprobamate is the metabolite of Soma. A friend gave me meprobamate when I threw my back out but it didn't seem to help much.
Like benzodiazepines and barbiturates it's a GABA-a agonist, it was the most popular minor tranquillizer before benzodiazepines were introduced.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
In the USA Carisoprodol seems to be a schedule CIV drug just in some states (Florida, Arizona, Idaho, Minnesota, Kentucky, Hawaii, and Washington State?) and a non-scheduled substance & general prescription medication in the others (Wikipedia).

Except for legal reasons I don't think Carisoprodol is a very good choice for anxiety. It has potent muscle relaxing properties (not perfect for a pure anxiolytic) and a rapid onset and pretty short duration of action which makes abuse & physical dependence more likely.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Benzodiazepines are a class C drug, it's illegal to posess a class C drug without a pescription.
So get a prescription or live with the consequences? I was correcting your earlier statement that benzos are illegal (in England.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts