Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up until this point, I've pretty much avoided career fairs because I've felt that I wouldn't be able to win anybody over with my verbal communication skills. That and the supposedly tons of other people that go to these things that have way more experience than I do. Plus SA is a big factor for not attending before.

But there is one coming up on Tuesday that I may go to it just out of desperation. Can someone clue me into how these things work? I know to bring a handful of resumes with me and dress nice, but other than that, I don't know what to expect or the ettiquete of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know how these things work either, but I read something a whle back that gave me some hope...

Short & Sweet
Keep the conversation short and sweet, or people will lose interest. This is where a nutshell description of what you do or your goals comes in very handy. Come up with a succinct "pitch" on how to describe yourself. Ever see "The Player"? Then you know about short and sweet movie pitches. Think of yourself as a movie in development in need of funding.
When keeping it short and sweet, also keep in mind the advice from Thumper's mom: if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

So basically saying very little is better than boring them to death, but still, how to initiate conversation? I have no idea! The only time I ever approached someone in a fair type situation I just walked upto them and said: 'Hi, I've got a group assesment interview with you guys in a few days time...' (The guy looks impressed) '...so uh, any hints for getting through the psychometric test?' (He tells me how they must be easy because they let him through)....'...ok thanks.' *walks away*

Yeah great, well done me, made absolutely no impression whatsoever. How embarrassing. I think I need more practice. :b

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually, I've had the same problem with career fairs. I was supposed to go to one a few weeks ago but I found reasons why I shouldn't go. I need to get a job and get off unemployment benefits and this Friday is a job fair so I will go there and see what happens. Gotta do what u gotta do.

Basically, you bring lots of resumes and smile a lot and hopefully your resume stands out and you make a good first impression.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts