Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

How is everyone? I am new to this forum. I came across this on google as I was researching about anxiety and careers. I am wondering if anyone else has similar struggles as I have when it comes to working and anxiety. I am still trying to figure out what it is that I want to do career wise, but anxiety (mostly social anxiety) seems to be a huge factor in my career related decisions.

Can anyone else relate? If so, how do you manage it? What types of jobs/careers are best for those of us who struggle with social anxiety and just anxiety in general? Would love to hear your thoughts on this! Thank you :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

How is everyone? I am new to this forum. I came across this on google as I was researching about anxiety and careers. I am wondering if anyone else has similar struggles as I have when it comes to working and anxiety. I am still trying to figure out what it is that I want to do career wise, but anxiety (mostly social anxiety) seems to be a huge factor in my career related decisions.

Can anyone else relate? If so, how do you manage it? What types of jobs/careers are best for those of us who struggle with social anxiety and just anxiety in general? Would love to hear your thoughts on this! Thank you :)

·
Registered
Living under a rock …on purpose
264 Posts
Personally, I have made a list for myself, writing down all the jobs that interest me that I come across. I suffer from social anxiety. Among the professions that seem the most interesting to me are: music instrument repair, and some insect-related profession. Working on a small ma and pa shop also sounds appealing and not too stressful. I have prioritized careers that are fulfilling and relatable to me, rather than monetary gain. I would rather continue living the way I currently do, than working in some field that does not interest me at all.

With music instrument repair, I feel like I am doing something meaningful. I was bitten by the music bug late in life (later than most) and it helped me immensely. I would like to give back to creative folks at the expense of me feeling like an imposter. Plus, I get to put my detail-oriented brain to work. With an insect-related profession, I would likely (not always) be working in some kind of outdoorsy job like entomology, forensic entomology, beekeeper or pest control. I would love to move around, I think. But again, I'll feel like an imposter, among all the younger people in college/university (for the science degrees).

...And perhaps video editing and making, which I do have some experience with. In the age of social media (blah)... it might be an important skill to keep in my pocket. Ideally, having multiple part-time/seasonal jobs across different fields sounds like the least dull way to live. A hybrid work schedule where one day you go out to work, and one day you work from home to recharge your social batteries... sounds nice. I think it is unfortunate that the norm is to stick to one profession.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I have made a list for myself, writing down all the jobs that interest me that I come across. I suffer from social anxiety. Among the professions that seem the most interesting to me are: music instrument repair, and some insect-related profession. Working on a small ma and pa shop also sounds appealing and not too stressful. I have prioritized careers that are fulfilling and relatable to me, rather than monetary gain. I would rather continue living the way I currently do, than working in some field that does not interest me at all.

With music instrument repair, I feel like I am doing something meaningful. I was bitten by the music bug late in life (later than most) and it helped me immensely. I would like to give back to creative folks at the expense of me feeling like an imposter. Plus, I get to put my detail-oriented brain to work. With an insect-related profession, I would likely (not always) be working in some kind of outdoorsy job like entomology, forensic entomology, beekeeper or pest control. I would love to move around, I think. But again, I'll feel like an imposter, among all the younger people in college/university (for the science degrees).

...And perhaps video editing and making, which I do have some experience with. In the age of social media (blah)... it might be an important skill to keep in my pocket. Ideally, having multiple part-time/seasonal jobs across different fields sounds like the least dull way to live. A hybrid work schedule where one day you go out to work, and one day you work from home to recharge your social batteries... sounds nice. I think it is unfortunate that the norm is to stick to one profession.
Hi! Thank you for your response to my post. I do agree - it is unfortunate that the norm is to stick to one profession. Its nice to hear that someone else feels the same way I do about prioritizing careers that are fulfilling over money. I think what you said about wanting to move around is a valid point that I should take into consideration for myself.

Do you feel that constantly being on the move increases or decreases your anxiety? I am trying to figure out if a job in which I am physically doing something would be more beneficial for me over sitting at a desk all day.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hi! Thank you for your response to my post. I do agree - it is unfortunate that the norm is to stick to one profession. Its nice to hear that someone else feels the same way I do about prioritizing careers that are fulfilling over money. I think what you said about wanting to move around is a valid point that I should take into consideration for myself.

Do you feel that constantly being on the move increases or decreases your anxiety? I am trying to figure out if a job in which I am physically doing something would be more beneficial for me over sitting at a desk all day.
It depends, I think. For me, moving around outside collecting specimens for study probably isn't as anxiety-inducing as moving around in a restaurant as a waiter. Of course, not all sitting-all-day jobs are bad. Having your own office room to work in might be the least anxiety-inducing thing in the end.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends, I think. For me, moving around outside collecting specimens for study probably isn't as anxiety-inducing as moving around in a restaurant as a waiter. Of course, not all sitting-all-day jobs are bad. Having your own office room to work in might be the least anxiety-inducing thing in the end.
Thank you for your input! I do agree. I have been searching for remote work as I think it might be whats best for me at this point in time but its not the easiest to find. Although, its supposed to be easier now that many companies work remote but maybe its just me having trouble, lol.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thank you for your input! I do agree. I have been searching for remote work as I think it might be whats best for me at this point in time but its not the easiest to find. Although, its supposed to be easier now that many companies work remote but maybe its just me having trouble, lol.
Good luck! ...Just be sure to find/keep some form of activity that lets you get out of the house. Isolating at home for long periods of time poisons minds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good luck! ...Just be sure to find/keep some form of activity that lets you get out of the house. Isolating at home for long periods of time poisons minds.
Thank you! I agree. I don't isolate myself at home which is good but that is one of the things I have thought about regarding remote work. I'm open to in person jobs as well but for me personally, the environment is so important. Its hard to find a good environment that challenges my anxiety but also isn't too overwhelming.

Blah... one day at a time I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts