+ have proper engines
+ go fast
+ sound good
+ annoy hippies
+ smell good
+ there aren't any truly good cars that don't fall in this category
- can be difficult to maintain if you are a Neanderthal
- cost money to run/maintain, but...
+ ...aren't prohibitively expensive unless you buy a Bugatti Veyron, in which case you can probably already afford to run it for a lifetime

Hybrids:
+ still have real engines and function like normal cars at "high" speeds but...
- ...they are slow eco engines and...
- ...most of the people who drive them are smug wannabe hippies
- they have all the cons of normal cars as well as...
- ...costing even more money to maintain as they have crappy electric motors as well, which are often proprietary and are expensive to replace

Electric cars:
- they're slow
- unless you drive them at 10 MPH, the batteries will run out in less time than it takes to charge them
- hippies complain about exhaust fumes from real cars, but the disposal of worn out batteries is far worse for the environment
- the power to charge them almost always comes from the mains, which is 90% generated by fossil fuels in pretty much every country, so much for not polluting!

·
Banned
565 Posts
I think you can still get a new car smell from a hybrid. Unless you mean that the gas smells good, and I would have to agree.

I think that the process involved in the occasional battery disposal is at least somewhat cleaner than a lifetime of car exhaust fumes. Maybe I'm wrong?

I think trucks are completely ridiculous, unless they are actually serving their intended purpose (hunting and driving like a douche bag, NOT included)

All that being said, I still prefer fast, heavy cars, and I drive a mustang. Who am I to judge?

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the engine/oil/petrol smell lol.

Also, most electric cars don't have just one battery, but a whole massive bank of them that make up over half the weight of the car, and if experience has taught me anything, batteries have a crappy lifetime unless you really take care of them, let them discharge properly and don't only do half-recharges, which isn't going to happen in a car obviously because you'll want it topped up at all times.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torque? Yes. Top speed? You're going to have to compromise on battery life, either because they'll deplete the batteries in no time at all at real speeds, or cut down the number of batteries to lose as much weight as possible.

There's maybe 1-2 electric cars that have reasonable performance and are viable as road cars, but they have horrible battery life.

Most of the "fast" electric cars are built simply for numbers/testing, weigh nothing because they don't have the gigantic half-a-ton-or-more bank of batteries most electric road cars have, and as a result they last for one run before they have to be recharged for hours and hours and hours and hours so they can do another run.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
There's maybe 1-2 electric cars that have reasonable performance and are viable as road cars, but they have horrible battery life.
Well how many electric car models are out there total?... like 4-5?

And yes their range sucks. But that is not speed. I'm sure a formula one car has crappy range when going at top speed but no one calls them slow for that reason.

They have their drawbacks, but speed is inherently not one of them.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Ahhhh what a quandary it is to be a sports car fan and an environmentalist by hobby:eek:

But I am going to have to go with real cars: petrol.--definitely.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
now now kids. *sniffs polluted air* ahhhh the good stuff.

·
Registered
718 Posts
do all of your opinions come from south park?
Amen.

I chose petrol because I drive one of those but I'm finding it hard to take this thread/poll seriously.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Amen.

I chose petrol because I drive one of those but I'm finding it hard to take this thread/poll seriously.
Please ban and delete this member, I am outraged at such accusations of bias.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The poll/thread is fine and all of my opinions are pretty much fact, despite the slight bias. Who takes hybrids/electric cars seriously? People laugh at them for a reason, because they're a crappy solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Some kind of KERS system as a boost like they used in F1 in 2009 would be better than these horrible full-on hybrids. Electric cars are a joke for a reason, because NONE of them are really practical and never will be unless there's some kinda quantum leap in battery development, but by the time battery technology improves, they should have found a way to make reliable, cheap internal combustion engines for alternative fuels, or maybe even make electric motors feel like real engines and make that hydrogen fuel cell tech a bit cheaper and available.

Hell, by the time batteries become a viable power source for cars, we'll probably all have a Mr. Fusion, because batteries aren't getting any better. Smaller? Yes. Better? No.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Self explanatory.

Electric cars:
- they're slow
- unless you drive them at 10 MPH, the batteries will run out in less time than it takes to charge them
- hippies complain about exhaust fumes from real cars, but the disposal of worn out batteries is far worse for the environment
- the power to charge them almost always comes from the mains, which is 90% generated by fossil fuels in pretty much every country, so much for not polluting!
1. Not slow, if the company that builds them doesn't cripple them.
2. Will travel anywhere I go in my city
3. Batteries get recycled, unless you are trailer trash and don't know how.
4. There are alternative ways to power electronics. This laptop is running off solar panels that I own right now. :b

I hate paying money to OPEC and right-wing anti-environment corporations in this country. I would rather not support any of them and the people they have addicted.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Hell, by the time batteries become a viable power source for cars, we'll probably all have a Mr. Fusion, because batteries aren't getting any better. Smaller? Yes. Better? No.
Are you a leading expert on battery technology? Have you even done any research before you spew these lies?

Let's see, in the 90s we had lead acid, then NiMH batteries came out and were popular in laptops in the late 90s, then Lithium ion batteries because popular in laptops, and now there is Lithium polymer and Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4)... And that is just in the past 15 years. Who knows what will be produced in the next 15 years if there is more demand from cell phones and tablets to electric cars and hybrids consumers that are willing to buy better batteries?

Have fun paying your $8/gallon over there. I'll spend the $2,000 on a solar system to recharge my electric truck and be self sufficient any day over getting nickeled and dimed year after year...

(Oh, and the efficiency of the electric motor is far superior to the efficiency of what an ICE engine could ever be.)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you sure have a strong opinion about cars, don't you?

I don't really know. I think maybe hybrid, although I've never driven one before.

·
banana enthusiast
7,084 Posts
Why don't you mention the #1 con for internal combustion engine cars: greenhouse gas emissions? Not to mention the #2 con: the geopolitical implications of importing petroleum from the middle east.

·
Inside my head im free
544 Posts
electric cars are just as bad, if not worse for our planet then gas cars. do any of you understand what resources are needed to make them? it all starts in nuclear plants, which create toxic wastes, and can blow up and we will have another chernobal disaster. nuclear power plants are needed to make the cars, along with very scarce resources. electric cars are not helping at all.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
since when did you require nuclear plants to product electric cars? Not only that but Chernobyl was due to circumstances of poor management, poor training and an unlikely set of circumstances which will not occur again.

I agree that electric cars are not as "clean" as they make out to be. The production of the batteries for example still requires the use of the current technology seen as harmful to the environment. It is a step in the right direction however but by no means the final solution.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts