10.-substitute transportation=0
11.-towing and labor=0
12.-bodily injury caused by an underinsured auto: 250k/500k=$64

merit rating plan:=-$102

discounts:
Air bag/automatic seatbelts:=25%
annual mileage (low mileage discount):=12%

total premium=$720

That's with living in a high theft/urban area, and having had no accidents or tickets in the past six years.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
im assuming thats for six months? mine is about $300 but im going to change it so it covers theft. i have a honda civic, one of the cars that get stolen much. with the way the recession is i think its better to insure it for theft

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Bodily injury $100k/$300k = $180
Property damage $100k = incl
Medical $5k per person = incl
Collision 500 deductible = $209
Comprehensive 500 deductible = $66
Vehicle assessment = .90
Discounts for dual airbag, good driver, 6 year accident free

Total = $455.90 (six months)

This is for a small city in northern California with low crime. I'm a 35 yo male and have never had an accident or car stolen. My rates were much higher when I lived in the LA area.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, that is the price for 12 months of car insurance....

I would recommend that people have 250K/500K for Box 3: Bodily injury caused by an uninsured auto.To go from 50K/100K to 250K/500K only cost me an additional $6.My rate went from $14 to $20 for that box.

I would recommend 100K for Box 4: Damage to someone else's property.

And at least 100K/300K for Box 5: Optional bodily injury to others.And if someone owns a home or has a lot of financial assets, they should increase their coverage to 250K/500K for that box.It cost me an additional $94 to go from 100K/300K to 250K/500K for that selection.
But in today's world of skyrocketing medical and legal bills, it is important to have additional coverage.Better to have the extra coverage than deal with an accident victim's attorney going after your home and savings accounts....

It would be a good idea to go with 250K/500K of coverage for Box 12: Bodily injury caused by an underinsured auto as well.To go from 50K/100K to 250K/500K cost me an additional $52 for that selection.From a rate of $12 to $64 for that selection.

I never knew how underinsured I was until I recently compared my auto insurance policy with that of my friend's, and was able to increase my coverage when I just renewed my policy last Friday.Boxes 3 and 12 were the most glaring examples of my lack of sufficient coverage, and the cheapest to increase to a maximum coverage of 250K/500K.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
I pay $478 for the whole year.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
$900 every six months for a 03 350z full coverage and a 1976 Ford LTD liability.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amica gave me a quote of $868 for 12 months in my high crime rate, urban area.The exact same policy would have cost me $510 in my friend's rural, upscale town.I was blown away by the difference in price since I was only seeking liability coverage, not 'Comprehensive' or 'Collision'.I know that I live in a high theft area, but I thought that would only influence the cost of the "Comprehensive' coverage.I was mistaken.Half of the cost of my policy is because of the city I live in.I could save 300 dollars on my policy if I moved just five miles down the road to an upscale town....

We do 12 month policies here in MA.Interesting how you people in the west do 6 month policies..

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
$900 every six months for a 03 350z full coverage and a 1976 Ford LTD liability.
I use to drive a 1973 Ford LTD two door. It had a 460 CID police interceptor engine in it. That car could go. It actually was my father's. I was driving it due to my van had a bad oil leak which was worse in the summer. So he let me drive that car in the summer. Then I bought a new truck so he decided to sell it. I didn't have any room to store it.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
-Bodily Injury $1M each person & each occurrence
-Property Damage $100K
-Underinsured Motorists insurance for Bodily Injury $1M for each person & each accident
-Uninsured Motorists Insurance for Bodily Injury $1M for each person & each accident
-Automobile Medical Payments $100K each person

No collision nor comprehensive.

Discounts:
-passive restraint $6.19
-Antilock Brakes $22.07
-Multiple Policy $29.06
-Premier Plus $53.28

Good driver rate, driven a max of 7,500 miles a year

Cost for 6 months = $259

If you get run over, hope that it's by somebody with insurance this good.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice policy Karl! Good price too.You can't live in too bad of an area to get rates like that.Did you have to get special umbrella coverage in order to get such a high rate of 1M? Or is that a readily available rate for average policy holders too_Obviously you got such high rates to protect your financial assets.I was telling a coworker how insane he is to just have the mandatory 20K/40K with no additional bodily injury to others.This is a guy with a family, who owns a home, and has 250K in the bank! Suicidal!

The rates in MA are starting to get a little better now that there is real competition here among the insurance companies.Just a year or two ago, the auto glass and towing lobbies had strong influence on the insurance rates which were set by the state.All companies had to charge a similar price:thus only a few insurance companies even did business in this state.Magically, as the insurance system was opened up to all comers, and companies like geiko, Amica, and dozens of other companies have been allowed to do business here, the local companies that had a stranglehold on the auto insurance sector have curiously begun to lower their rates....Coincidence....

Like Odun has said in the past, forget the image of MA as some progressive state.This is the most corrupt and dysfunctional state I have seen, where the ordinary citizen is routinely screwed over.....

·
(.*?)
7,014 Posts
Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 = $65.80
Property Damage Liability $5,000 = $81.40

Total for six months: $147.20

Legal minimums for CA. I try not to hit people and don't do a lot of driving.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Did you have to get special umbrella coverage in order to get such a high rate of 1M? Or is that a readily available rate for average policy holders too.
No, that's simply the max coverage offered by Allstate on auto insurance policies.

If you want more liability coverage they'd be happy to sell you a separate umbrella policy that boosts liability coverage into the multiple millions.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Bodily Injury Liability $15,000/$30,000 = $65.80
Property Damage Liability $5,000 = $81.40

Total for six months: $147.20

Legal minimums for CA. I try not to hit people and don't do a lot of driving.
If you're at fault and crash into another car you could very easily do more than $5K of property damage. After all, simply total a new car and that's an average of $25K right there.

$15K for bodily injury? What is that enough for one day in the hospital with serious injury? This is why others have to pay for under-insured motorist coverage -- to pay the bills when the other guy's insurance is woefully inadequate.

On a positive note, at least you have insurance. Many in CA don't. To get insurance you need to be a US citizen I believe and since there are many illegal aliens in border states like CA there are lots driving around without insurance because they can't get it even if they wanted to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.