Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Commissioner of Kawaii
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I really want to start capturing gameplay and commentary on to Youtube, but I'm not really sure what kind of Capture Card to get. I also really don't want to have to give up my first born child for one, as it seems to be to get a 3DSXL one because they need to mod it. I'm not very comfortable sending it to be permanently modded.

My other problem is finding one just for general console and PC use. If it says Xbox and PS compatible, does that mean it's compatible with systems like the Wii and WiiU? What about if I wanted to record on a Gamecube or even an N64? Is that possible or can it only be done using an emulator on the computer?

I really have no idea so I figured someone must know about this stuff and can help me xD

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Seriously though, I have no idea either =P
If I learn something, I'll be sure to let you know.

I know that you don't need an emulator to record Gamecube or N64 gameplay, though.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
I have used an HD PVR in the past. It works pretty well.

·
Oh jeez... okay.
1,852 Posts
An EZ Cap or Dazzle might be what you want. I've used them in the past to record Wii and GameCube footage

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The Elgato Game Capture HD is a great capture card, but will require a decently powerful Desktop PC (for safe measure) to properly record, an HD TV, an online connection (for software updates) and extra cables, respectively, if you're aiming to record GameCube, N64, Wii, and PS2.

I have never heard of a capture card that records footage from hardware across console generations out of the box. Usually, you need to buy extra cables or converters if you aim to record for different consoles.

I have found Youtube videos of Elgato Game Capture HD users giving tutorials on how to record for all of the devices that you've mentioned, the Elgato likely suits your needs. Search for Elgato Youtube videos to get a feel for the device.

Make sure that you are thorough in your research and don't expect to get all that you need in one buy. It seems common for users to make mistakes. You should probably be prepared for much trial and error.

Here is the Elgato Game Capture HD's official page, with most of the information you will need regarding PC compatibility and video/audio quality: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/game-capture-hd

You can record PC footage with the Elgato Game Capture HD, but it'd probably be easier to just download software designed specifically for recording PC gameplay. Something like GeForce Shadowplay or Open Broadcaster (both free).

·
Commissioner of Kawaii
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Dazzle but I'm not sure if that will work? Can it be any Dazzle or is there a specific one? I've only used it to transfer VHS to digital files and then onto DVD.

·
Gone, Never Coming Back
4,863 Posts
I have a Diamond and it works well enough. It captures HD footage just fine, not perfect, but at an acceptable enough quality. If a capture device says it works with Xbox 360 and PS3, it also works with Wii and Wii U. I'm not 100% on this, but if it's compatible with AV/HDMI, you can record it.

It's not worth getting something super expensive if you're just recording casually or just starting out. If you're a professional youtuber, then you have an excuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts