Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It takes me about an hour and a half to fall asleep. Even if I am extremely sleepy. I think it may have something to do with my anxiety because before big days (testing dates, job interviews) I just cannot get a good night's sleep and I pay the price mentally and physically the next day. I just cannot bring myself to relax. Anyone have any tips or soporific tricks in getting a good night's sleep?

Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tend to exercise on a daily basis in hope that it will make me quite tired by the end of the day. Although if I am VERY anxious about an event of some sort the following day I can also have trouble getting to sleep. I guess one thing to consider would be to reduce caffeine intake if you consume a lot. Other than that I am not too sure.

outOfThisWorld

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been trying to stop my insomnia for about 10 years now. :afr I typically take a few hours to fall asleep and then wake up at 4-6am no matter what. Neither am I able to fall asleep during the day if I try no matter how tired I am. I'm at that point where I think it's time to try medication again as i've been calling up places to try to schedule an appointment. I exercise 3-4 times a week now for about 2-3 months and that hasn't changed my situation. I'll continue with the exercise either way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I find chamomile tea hels me fall asleep. I usally wake up an hour later though. What I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
One trick is to try to stay awake and keep your eyes open. It's kind of a paradox. Sometimes it works. Honestly the only thing that works for me is either meds or deep meditation. Melatonin 3 or 6 mg works well as far as OTC meds, as does generic Benadryl 25-50 mg. Combine the two for very good results. I wish they still sold tryptophan OTC, I'd like to try it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
pita said:
Melatonin has helped me a bit.
ding!

Anxiety/depression often causes the brain to secrete lower levels of melatonin making it hard to drift off to sleep at the end of the day. However, it's probably best to just help promote your body to produce the correct amounts rather than supplementing daily. (Though there are no long-term side effects of doing so.)

I would try the melatonin. You can get it for real cheap. Probably walmart. Valarian root was mentioned. Personally it doesn't make me sleepy, but it helps me relax and calm down which may be a reason for your insomnia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts