Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no problem relating to people older than myself. I never have in my life. Older people seem to understand me, but my peers simply don't.

Case example: Today, actually just a few moments ago, I was in my Art Appreciation course in the college I attend.

Our teacher told us to go into a group (which I hate doing anyways) to discuss "What is art?"

I thought she meant the philosophical view of "What is art and what is not art" but what she meant was "What objects do you think are art?"

I was talking about this with two other girls in my group (I'm a guy). I said just because you have an opinion doesn't make it right. We were talking about art and a girl said "Well if so-and-so person thinks X is art, therefore it is."

I said, "Well if I believe women shouldn't be able to vote, hypothetically because I don't...that doesn't make it right just because I believe it."

The two girls really had no idea what I was talking about, but I know I am right because logic says so. Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it should be acceptable by other people. If this was the case, then it would be ethically okay to be racist, sexist, and discriminate against other people. .

This was just a eureka moment when I realized that I really can't relate to my peers at all because I am simply not as intellectually immature as they are. I have always been like this - and it sucks.

I wish I could relate to them, but I simply can't.

I need help. I don't know how to "cure" my social anxiety disorder or how to relate to other people without dumbing myself down to their level.

I am asking you guys/girls on this forum for advice on how to relate to other people without comprising my own intellectual views. For example, I just can't go out and get drunk and think that is fun. It isn't fun to me. I don't think there is anything morally wrong with it unless you hurt somebody else (i.e. physically hurting someone physically, emotionally...drunk driving, etc.), I just don't enjoy that and I see it as emotionally numbing yourself.

Can you people give me advice? Thanks

·
P4
1,238 Posts
I don't think you should dumb yourself down, at least not until you are sure that it's required to do so. I find I'm like that too, my default persona is actually dumbass, and if I find that people are willing to go further than that then I will reciprocate the discussion or make my own theories. This doesn't always work though, but these days I'm too shy to test if this works :/ It doesn't seem to online but probaly the type of people online are different.

Unfortunately sometimes talking about this stuff can bore some people, I guess if you want to keep your views you'd have to hit and miss with some people until you find some you can get along with.

Btw, I think art is in the eye of the beholder, maybe that's what the girl meant? "Well if so-and-so person thinks X is art, therefore it is."(to them).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People can have their own opinions. Maybe just realize it is not that big of a deal.
My entire point is just because you have an opinion - that doesn't make it right.

Can I change it? Absolutely not, I can't change how millions of people think just by arguing with two people.

However, by saying "people can have their opinions" that really does compromise logic and an intellectually progressive society.

You can have opinions. You can have opinions of discrimination. Sometimes your opinion can be extremely ignorant.

Are you going to say, "Oh, ignorance is okay because that's YOUR OPINION."

Then I rest my case - then I just can't get through to you or those two girls because they are too stupid to understand me on an intellectual level.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I can relate to this. I feel as if this generation is just lost in general. Girls dress like *****s, guys dress like gay men, everyone wares the same clothing, everyone watches the same tv shows, sex is often occuring around 16 years old or sooner and it leads me to take a moment to stop and think about how dumb and brainwashed most of our peers are.

I feel like writing more but this video pretty much sums up how i feel about my peers.

·
Registered
674 Posts
My thoughts exactly Catiey. ^

But anyway, yes I can't relate to people my age either. Younger and older people are much more relatable to me.
I feel like people reach that age where they're off to University or whatever and they go oh at this age I'm supposed to go and get drunk every night, suddenly start following fashion, act this or that certain way blah blah oh ok off I go and do it then.
People my age seem to have lost the ability to think independently.
Just my opinion. And I know what you mean about sometimes 'dumbing down' for other people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts