Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You might try Microsoft's Anti-Spyware beta. I found that it takes out stuff that Ad-Aware and Spybot don't. It also shuts down and then removes spyware that's currently running on your system instead of telling you to reboot and rescan.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
That is odd, the virus sticks around even after a reformat? You could try installing ZoneAlarm, a free software based firewall that blocks both incoming and outgoing connections. Windows XP firewall only blocks incoming I believe. Which means it won't stop a virus that is already on your computer from 'dialing out'

Burn it onto a CD and when you format your hard drive disconnect your phone line first that way you can install ZA before connecting to the net and it may catch whatever is trying to communicate out.

Are you sure it is a virus? It has been a while since I used a phone modem but even when I am inactive my cable modem shows network activety, which is normal. Perhaps it is something else?

·
Registered
323 Posts
The internet is full of crap. When I reformat my hard drive, I unplug the network card so my computer is completely not open to the many internet threats out there. Before reformatting, I put the setup files for AVG anti virus, and Zone Alarm on a flash card. After finishing fresh installing windows, I will keep my network card unplugged and install Zone Alarm and AVG (It helps to have the latest setup files so you won't have to update later). After the two programs are installed, I shut down my computer and plug in my network cable and turn my machine back on. That is when I start installing the windows updates. If you have Zone Alarm running I can't imagine a virus being able to get onto your computer.

And are you sure that all of the updates are installed? For some reason, whenever I update, I have to visit the windows update page like ... I think 3 times, restarting my computer inbetween each visit. Each round, they have a different batch, and the third includes SP2 (I noticed you didn't mention having this installed. Maybe you should try going to the windows update page and see if they have that file waiting to be installed on your computer.)

Best of luck. Technology can be a poop sometimes :D

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I had Trend Micro and there are a few viruses that it won't detect....There are a bunch of sites out there that will let you scan your computer for viruses, and some will even delete them for you i.e. symantec, mcafee, and especially PCpitstop.You can also go to cnet.com and download trial versions of anti virus programs and use them for 14 or 30 days.They may get rid of the virus....AVG anti-virus is free to use....The above might be difficult for you to download with a dial up modem that is having problems....Perhaps a friend could download it on to a 3.5 disc for you....Go to http://www.pcpitstop.com and have it scan your computer for viruses, at least that way you will know for sure if that is your problem...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like u could have a Trogan on your pc.
1) rightclick desktop > properties > system restore > turn this off.
2) open regedit : local computer > microsoft > windows > current version > then look for the run 's and if you see anything nasty there kill it. if its a new install u should be able to tell whats good and bad.
failing ^^ download hijackthis and that that do a test on ur pc.
3) runnins ad-aware may help detect viruses too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts