Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back home for the first time since starting uni. Quite frankly, I had a terrible start at uni, it wasn't what I expected.
But now that I'm here I find my SA has extended even to around my family members because they're judging and watching me so closely, how I've ''grown into a man'' etc...
I simply can't sit in the same room as them as I used to be able to, and the symptoms I experience around them are the exact same as meeting a stranger or doing public speaking!

I seriously feel my SA has reached new heights.... Now I have nobody! My mother finding anxiety medication as she cleaned my bedroom while I was away hasn't helped... I honestly feel pathetic haha.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If your anxiety is getting worse, you must be provoking it somehow by the way you're living. Basically, anxiety gets worse when you avoid it, so you must be doing what you can to avoid it.

So for example, let's say you go in your kitchen and get anxious because your family is in there. You then go upstairs to your room to stop the anxiety. By avoiding the situation that makes you anxious, you teach your subconscious that it is correct to trigger an anxiety (threatened) response...so the anxiety gets even worse for next time you go downstairs. The more you avoid anxiety, the worse it is next time you have to face it.

The solution is to recognize that anxiety is discomforting but harmless, and sit through it, all the while doing your best NOT to focus on it. By not focusing on it, you teach your subconscious that anxiety is not necessary in this situation. That's how people overcome SA, whether they realize it or not.

Also, you've got more to lose by avoiding anxiety. Loneliness provokes depression, and that feeling is so much worse than any anxiety or panics.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
If your anxiety is getting worse, you must be provoking it somehow by the way you're living. Basically, anxiety gets worse when you avoid it, so you must be doing what you can to avoid it.

So for example, let's say you go in your kitchen and get anxious because your family is in there. You then go upstairs to your room to stop the anxiety. By avoiding the situation that makes you anxious, you teach your subconscious that it is correct to trigger an anxiety (threatened) response...so the anxiety gets even worse for next time you go downstairs. The more you avoid anxiety, the worse it is next time you have to face it.

The solution is to recognize that anxiety is discomforting but harmless, and sit through it, all the while doing your best NOT to focus on it. By not focusing on it, you teach your subconscious that anxiety is not necessary in this situation. That's how people overcome SA, whether they realize it or not.

Also, you've got more to lose by avoiding anxiety. Loneliness provokes depression, and that feeling is so much worse than any anxiety or panics.
Very nice :yes and I feel your pain OP. I'm anxious around my immediate family too. and I will be taking this advice into much consideration..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts