Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The depression and anxiety medicines I'm on atm have been doing nothing(Klonopin and Prozac). I'm now off my old insurance and on straight medicaid until it switches to Health Plus in June(according to the woman I talked to when I signed up). She also said that if my psychiatrist doesn't take straight medicaid my prescriptions won't be covered :( My psychiatrist only takes health plus medicaid and I sure don't wanna be paying tons for medications that aren't helping much if at all. I've told this to him already and he has switched my meds and doses a bunch of times(Cymbalta, Depakote, zoloft). It is looking like I need to try for disability and I'm worried if I try to insist on quitting the medications it will hurt my chances.

I'm also on Lisinopril, Dyazide, Metoprolol Tartrate, and Pepcid. I'm going to have to check if my family doc takes straight medicaid(I don't think he does :( ) or if I can get another doctor to prescribe them to me. The only place I know of accepting new medicaid patients takes a month to get new patients in(unless more places are now with Obamacare).

I really hope the medicaid person I talked to was wrong. I'll have to call the pharmacist tomorrow to see. I didn't call yesterday because I was feeling nervous. Next I guess I'll have to call my psychiatrist but not sure if he'll give me samples or let me try going off my meds until June.

A free clinic is open tomorrow but I have no energy and I already have to take my girlfriend to an important appointment. No idea if they'd even refill all my blood pressure, etc meds for me. I assume I'd still have the paying for meds problem anyway.

I was going to post in frustration, but decided to post in here for a better chance of getting advice.

·
Dvana
140 Posts
What city are you in, a lot of cities in the USA cover mental health care for free, pdoc and meds all free, I had a pdoc of my choice who accepted the cities insurance one hour per week and all meds completely free, filled out at Walgreens. I had him and the meds for over ten years. You just need to know what services are available for the uninsured and of course your income level needs to be low.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bay City, Michigan. Thanks, I'm not too sure how to look into that but sounds like something I should try. Not sure if my psychiatrist would know. I've been out of work because of my problems for about a year. I still have assets left that I've been surviving on for the time being.

·
Dvana
140 Posts
I just made one call and I was covered, no meetings or appointments or anything the pdoc would fill out the paper work very 6 months, but there are lots of programs to help out the low income people with mental health issues, you just have to ring around, maybe a community health center that is free of charge would have some mental health services available in your area. I can think of at least 7 places that offered free help in my old city, some including meds.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm also on Lisinopril, Dyazide, Metoprolol Tartrate, and Pepcid.
Fortunately all those drugs except Dyazide are on Walmart's $4 per month/$10 per 90-day list. If you get them as a 90-day supply Walmart will ship them to your home for free. You'd could simply switch Dyazide to HCTZ and then it would be on the list.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fortunately all those drugs except Dyazide are on Walmart's $4 per month/$10 per 90-day list. If you get them as a 90-day supply Walmart will ship them to your home for free. You'd could simply switch Dyazide to HCTZ and then it would be on the list.
Thanks that's not bad, I'll have to look into it. I might have enough Dyazide to last another month. I got refills on some of my meds right before my old insurance ran out. The only ones I need really soon are the Pepcid, klonopin, prozac, and metoprolol tartrate. So I guess it might not be too bad.

I just found the list for Walmart. The prozac was also on there but I couldn't find the Klonopin. My dose was cut on that so hoping that won't be too bad.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
No offence i sincerley mean that, but it sounds like a really crapy system, not comming from US, but Europe... Heart medicin/BP and ulcer/stomach medicin. And somewhat "psych" medicin... It would be somewhat sanctioned here...

It's like ObamaCare should had worked but don't work... They make fun of it on say SNL... Didn't like it comming from a country with almost free healthcare.

Was it Pres. Nixon and Reagan, who saw that we can save money here...

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Thanks that's not bad, I'll have to look into it. I might have enough Dyazide to last another month. I got refills on some of my meds right before my old insurance ran out. The only ones I need really soon are the Pepcid, klonopin, prozac, and metoprolol tartrate. So I guess it might not be too bad.

I just found the list for Walmart. The prozac was also on there but I couldn't find the Klonopin. My dose was cut on that so hoping that won't be too bad.
A smaller dose may or may not save you any money. A lot of meds cost the same or nearly the same regardless of dosage. You can use this fact to your advantage by having your doctor prescribe the largest dose pill which you can then halve or quarter depending on what you need. Of course, when they say 30 or 90-day supply at Walmart they have to actually believe you're using it within that time span so it has to be written for you to take it in that time span with that understanding with your doc that you actually have a brain and know how to cut pills as needed. Obviously, not all doctors would be willing to do this, but it can't hurt to ask. There's potential savings to be had with pill splitting so long as you're not already using the largest dose pill made.

Also, take a look at GoodRx.com to see if they can save you any money on your clonazepam or other meds not covered by the ultra-cheap drug programs offered by Walmart & Target. Their coupons works. I know because I used them last year before I had insurance.

Is there a Costco in your area? There's none within 25 miles of me, but I've used Costco.com to save money. Last month, for example I got a 90-day supply of Xanax: 4mg per day, so that's 360 1mg tablets and it cost $16.86. I didn't even bother running it through insurance because that would have cost me a $20 co-pay (or $10 every month). I had my psychiatrist fax my script to Costco.com which I knew had a lower price than my insurance offered on that particular med. It seems Costco no longer quotes controlled substance prices on their website, but you can e-mail them or call them toll free for a price quote. You don't need to be a member -- I'm not. You also don't need to be a member of Sam's club to use their pharmacy either.

I hope these tips can help save you some money because I hate to see someone get screwed over by drug companies. I know how ridiculous prices can be. I use AndroGel which costs $5,000 per year. My brother uses twice the dose, so $10,000 per year. The stuff is made in Mexico as if they can't afford to pay higher than 3rd world wages to make it! Nexium is made in India! Drug companies tend to be shameless and will charge whatever the market will bear. You're fortunate in that the drugs you use are all fairly cheap generics. The drugs I use are so expensive that they cover the $5,000 per year cost of my health insurance, a price not everyone could afford.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A smaller dose may or may not save you any money. A lot of meds cost the same or nearly the same regardless of dosage. You can use this fact to your advantage by having your doctor prescribe the largest dose pill which you can then halve or quarter depending on what you need. Of course, when they say 30 or 90-day supply at Walmart they have to actually believe you're using it within that time span so it has to be written for you to take it in that time span with that understanding with your doc that you actually have a brain and know how to cut pills as needed. Obviously, not all doctors would be willing to do this, but it can't hurt to ask. There's potential savings to be had with pill splitting so long as you're not already using the largest dose pill made.

Also, take a look at GoodRx.com to see if they can save you any money on your clonazepam or other meds not covered by the ultra-cheap drug programs offered by Walmart & Target. Their coupons works. I know because I used them last year before I had insurance.

Is there a Costco in your area? There's none within 25 miles of me, but I've used Costco.com to save money. Last month, for example I got a 90-day supply of Xanax: 4mg per day, so that's 360 1mg tablets and it cost $16.86. I didn't even bother running it through insurance because that would have cost me a $20 co-pay (or $10 every month). I had my psychiatrist fax my script to Costco.com which I knew had a lower price than my insurance offered on that particular med. It seems Costco no longer quotes controlled substance prices on their website, but you can e-mail them or call them toll free for a price quote. You don't need to be a member -- I'm not. You also don't need to be a member of Sam's club to use their pharmacy either.

I hope these tips can help save you some money because I hate to see someone get screwed over by drug companies. I know how ridiculous prices can be. I use AndroGel which costs $5,000 per year. My brother uses twice the dose, so $10,000 per year. The stuff is made in Mexico as if they can't afford to pay higher than 3rd world wages to make it! Nexium is made in India! Drug companies tend to be shameless and will charge whatever the market will bear. You're fortunate in that the drugs you use are all fairly cheap generics. The drugs I use are so expensive that they cover the $5,000 per year cost of my health insurance, a price not everyone could afford.
My psychiatrist has been switching my meds and doses so much that I have no idea if he plans to keep me on klonopin much longer. I went down from a 0.5 mg tab twice a day to just one tab at night and he took me off 500 mg Depakote. At the same time he had me start taking two 20 mg Prozac. I feel like a guinea pig. I don't think he is going to give up even though the meds only seem to be making me tired. He has me come back every two weeks a lot and I've been going to him almost a year. I was supposed to be back awhile ago but I'm having changes in insurance. My mom has a long history of going to psychiatrists and she says the others in the area are worse in her experience.

This reminds me I better make some calls because I'm low on klonopin and my psychiatrist is not open on Friday. I have no costco in the area but I can look into it online and goodrax depending on what my doc says. Thanks for all the tips. Wow, that sucks that AndroGel costs so much. My mom got me worried mentioning that a lot of meds cost a hundred or more a month but is looking like mine shouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
A smaller dose may or may not save you any money. .
I was buying beer last week. The Keystone Light cost 20% more than Keystone regular for some reason. Less alcohol, pay more? Yeah, that makes sense. Idiots.

I don't live in the US but I still use Costco's US drug search
http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInformation.aspx?p=1
You can get a rough ballpark of what you're dealing with. I type in Nardil and see that this drug has no generic equivalent. I'm actually shocked how much Americans pay for Nardil. I type in Prozac and it says I can get those in the US for 9 cents per pill.

Everyone not in the US should check this out. HIV medication for the low low price of $71 per day. How does the US still have gay people? Even the ones driving Land Rovers can't afford that.
http://www2.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInfo.aspx?p=1&SearchTerm=atripla&Drug=ATRIPLA

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got to talk to my psychiatrist. I had to call twice because he never called back. I explained to him that the pills still don't seem to be helping and I'm depressed all the time. He still wanted me to take them. I asked him to send them to walmart because of the $4 for a month supply thing but he didn't seem to understand that the Klonopin might not be covered by that.

I really don't wanna pay a lot for a medication that isn't helping me. If I can't get the klonopin at a reasonable price could I take myself off it? I only have 3 tabs left :( but could I cut them in half and use them until I run out? I've only been taking a 0.5 mg tab at night. If it turns out to be something like $30+ I'd rather spend the money on something else I'd enjoy and that would actually make me feel better. I'm waiting a short bit before calling Walmart.

Edit: Called Walmart. Still waiting for my doc to call it in to check the prices. If the Klonopin is more than I can pay I'll check with the local health department to see if I can get any help like Dvana mentioned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts