Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to a university for an accounting degree. I am a very great student (had a 4.0 until I got a A- this past semester), and have an impressive resume, and I typically land an interview when I put in my application for an accounting internship. I also work hard at getting involved at school by going to networking events and what not. My job experience just includes an office assistant position.

However, I have had 5-6 interviews up to now, and cannot land a single job or internship (every position I held until now either did not have an interview or was practically given to me). I follow all instructions and tips I can, but somehow those conducting the interviews never want to hire me. I do not know what it is, though I have a few theories, all related to my communication skills (really lack thereof). What can I do to perform better and leave a better first impression? My suspected problems are as follows:

1. I get super nervous and sometimes say the wrong thing or cannot think of the word I want to use.

2. I am terrible at recalling experiences in my life.

3. I do not expound enough on my answers. I have worked on this, but I think it might still be a problem.

4. My voice makes me sound like I may have down syndrome: I talk really slow, and it almost sounds like Forest Gump.

I know it's only 5-6 interviews, but I am an otherwise very strong candidate, and do not understand why I am getting rejected every time. I will probably try a mock interview with my current employer soon, but we already know each other, so I cannot make a "first impression" like I normally will have to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You need practice through mock interviews.

Your college should have a career guidance office. Go there, explain your situation and tell them you want to set up a few mock interviews to get practice so you dont get nervous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Or if your uni doesnt have a career guidance office, go to some of your accounting teachers and ask the same thing. Teachers always like to help A students.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've actually done a mock interview before. Their only real complaint was that I wasn't expounding enough on my answers. I will be setting up another mock interview, but I feel there is something else I need to do, perhaps excercises to improve the way I sound. Is there a way to learn how to talk faster, or to think faster. I also need to find a way to stop locking up when I talk to people. It happens to me often. I just freeze because I do not know what to say, and I always wind up saying the wrong thing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One mock interview isn't sh1t. If you have problems doing interviews, you need to do at least 5 or so practice interviews.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts