Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just junked my entire last post because I realized its underlying question: Weed; Lots, some, or none?

Weed pros:
-It's the high, stupid!
-Fun to do with friends
-Makes lonely nights more lively
-Safe (and decrim. in MA where I live)

cons:
-Expensive (relatively)
-Limits employment opportunities
-Negative effects on lungs

caveat:
First tried it when I was 20, became a daily user 18 months later, earned a BA degree and held down numerous jobs during that time.
I'm not kiddish about it, I don't work or go to class high (anymore).

My variation:
Way before I started smoking I was already a reserved, socially anxious, but overall good kid. Never had more than a handful of close friends and acquaintances for most of my life. Decent to excellent grades depending on when and which school. Now I've graduated college and have been stuck in the same bad economy hole as many Americans. I'm making SA progress haltingly, but surely. As for withdrawals.. don't make me laugh with your 'withdrawals', I've broken my daily habit for weeks and never had a physical craving for weed.
The bottom line is, I feel depressed lots of times. It's not as bad as when my Dad died 3 and a half years ago, a few months after my last girlfriend dumped me for my best friend (in those times I just smoked and drank heavily to deal with the intense grief). There's a history of it in my life, goes hand-in-hand with SA. And now, life just feels hollow in general, I feel powerless about my ability to get a girlfriend as I "anxiety" my way out of the few opportunities I have to get one. Weed doesn't help me there, but it rarely hurts me, either. If I were to look at the situation as dispassionately
as possible, I'd say weed has an overall negative impact. Not a big impact, but a negative one.

So that's it! From a SA point of view, practical point of view, your own personal "opinion" :b what do you think?

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Man, I could have wrote this myself...except the dad and ex girlfriend thing. That really sucks man. I do know what it's like to have a **** for an ex-girlfriend though, so we can relate at least on that.
For me, weed doesn't make me so happy that I feel normal and can go develop relationships and contribute to society. I wish it did. All it does is make all the hours I spend alone more...bareable. Without weed, nothing is really fun to me. I'd still be doing what I'm doing now if I didn't smoke weed, I'd just be in a really depressed "if you love me, you'll kill me" kind of mood.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Yeah. Pot isn't as bad as it's made out to be. Obviously if you smoke it, there are going to be some health effects and there may well be some lasting negative psychological effects but I think if it's used with restraint and maturity, the benefits can outweigh the negatives.

Unfortunately, I'm just not messing with it until it's legal (if that ever happens). As I've said before, I'm not going to jail because of a plant. Of all the stupid reasons to put someone in a cage.

As it stands, it's legal status probably means people with bad SA should steer clear of it. If you're always worried about getting busted, it's going to make you avoid social situations even more and you'll be even more paranoid than the weed already makes you.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Luckily for me I don't even need to put shoes on to go buy it. My next door neighbor is the dealer for this area lol.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I cant stand weed. It physically disgusts me even to hear people talking about it. Honestly, it doesn't have much to do with the side effects. I don't particularly care how someone decides to harm their own bodies, physically. I have no problem smoking cigarettes or drinking. The 'real' drugs, like cocaine, don't even bother me as much as weed.

The thing that really gets to me is the attitudes of the the people who use the stuff. They pretend it isn't harmful, that it isn't addictive, that it isn't dangerous in any way, and it doesn't make them stupid. They display the symbol on all of their things, tell all of their friends about how incredibly stoned they were at that party, pretend as if they aren't just drugged out losers who cant get off their couch. At least crack addicts can recognize that what they're doing is messing up their lives and health, potheads are in denial.

Of course, I understand that some people just use it to relax a little occasionally. I understand that certain disorders can be hard to manage sober. While I really don't think illegal drug use is the way to handle that, I can look the other way. It's when normal everyday people talking about it like its no big deal, or attempt to make a dangerous illegal substance into some expression of culture, that I just feel sick.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
I'm in love with Mari-Jane, and I'm a big time advocate that it can be addicting lol. That being said, I think it's potential to seriously harm the user is maybe 1% the risk of hard drugs like crack, heroin, even alcohol.
And I also know smoking weed is dangerous. Obviously inhaling any type of smoke into the lungs multiple times a day can't be good for me lol. As for weed making me stupid, I would really have to disagree with that. I become quite smart when I'm high. I can speak more clearly, my thoughts flow easier and I'm less distracted. I sometimes have short term memory lapses while I'm high, but I'm pretty good when I'm sober...which is almost never, but that's besides the point lol.

I've only said weed is no big deal, when in comparison to things that are already legal. The government can't tell me that they have made weed illegal because 1)it's harmful to my health, and 2)it's addicting and can lead to harder drug use, when they make a killing off selling alcohol and tobacco, two of the deadly drugs we've ever created.
Weed is illegal because the government doesn't think they'll make enough money off of it. The black market(local drug dealers) for weed would still thrive. If they priced them too high(no pun intended) I'd just buy off my guy instead of the ones in stores. They'd still get the people who don't know a dealer, but would it be worth it? They seem to make more money off arresting people who have weed and throwing them in jail.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
cons:
-Expensive (relatively)
-Negative effects on lungs
Growing your own/befriending somebody who grows their own and vaporising it instead of smoking it would solve both of these! Also if you vaporise it save up enough spent weed you could probably get some oil out of it.

Weed honestly isn't anywhere near as bad as people think it is. The only known harmful physiological effects are on the lungs and those can be avoided via vaporising or oral consumption (and there's plenty of things you can make with it). And it's not physically addictive, it's all psychological which means it's about as addictive as anything else that gives pleasure. People who compare "weed addiction" (lol what) to heroin addiction or alcohol addiction disgust me.

The harmful psychological effects are debatable, but they vary from person to person. It's true that it can trigger psychosis in people who have underlying mental disorders and/or a history of that type of mental illness in their family, and it's true that it can impair mental development (kids should leave it well alone, though I smoked alot when I was 14-15 and didn't suffer any noticable ill effects), but for the majority of people it's not harmful.

People that sit around all day smoking, unemployed with no friends besides the ones they smoke with, aren't the way they are because they smoke. They're either depressed to begin with, lazy or some of them might even have SA, and they're using weed to keep them occupied. Weed isn't the cause for such behaviour, those people just use it as a distraction to keep themselves from becoming even more depressed or dying of boredom. It doesn't make people lazy, permanently dumb them down, create intense physical addictions or cause any brain damage. Anybody who tells you that it does any of those things is either lying through their teeth, has an agenda or is just stupid/misinformed.

However, the fact is most people just smoke to have fun with their friends or relax after school/work. I find it provides great relief from SA as well.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I cant stand weed. It physically disgusts me even to hear people talking about it. Honestly, it doesn't have much to do with the side effects. I don't particularly care how someone decides to harm their own bodies, physically. I have no problem smoking cigarettes or drinking. The 'real' drugs, like cocaine, don't even bother me as much as weed.

The thing that really gets to me is the attitudes of the the people who use the stuff. They pretend it isn't harmful, that it isn't addictive, that it isn't dangerous in any way, and it doesn't make them stupid. They display the symbol on all of their things, tell all of their friends about how incredibly stoned they were at that party, pretend as if they aren't just drugged out losers who cant get off their couch. At least crack addicts can recognize that what they're doing is messing up their lives and health, potheads are in denial.

Of course, I understand that some people just use it to relax a little occasionally. I understand that certain disorders can be hard to manage sober. While I really don't think illegal drug use is the way to handle that, I can look the other way. It's when normal everyday people talking about it like its no big deal, or attempt to make a dangerous illegal substance into some expression of culture, that I just feel sick.
I smoke weed. I don't believe I'm like what you said. I do it because there is no significant health risk (especially when you don't spin it with tobacco) and it makes me distracted enough to not feel anxious. I'm not in denial about anything.
I had the exact same opinion of you when I was about 15. Much of how you see the use of pot is misunderstood, believe me. For instance, you saying potheads go around telling everyone how high they got. No, only to people they usually smoke weed with or someone they know does it. Since its an enjoyable experience to share with someone, its appropriate to tell of it.
Anyway, that's the casual smokers who still get excited about being high. It doesn't really have a big effect on their lives at all. The truly heavy smokers are so used to being high it doesn't even matter anymore. Those are the ones with the ruined lives.

·
Tones of existence
179 Posts
I love the way weed makes you think, the way it heightens enjoyment and it gives a very mental clarity on numerous areas. However for me when smoking in groups and even with friends, I'm becoming more and more socially anxious, worrying and obsessing more than ever what others think of me. I begin to lose confidence and doubt my own thoughts compared to others.

That's the downside for me which really sucks, but I'm realising it's all in the mind and having a positive outlook on weed makes it more of a positive experience. But no matter how hard I try, social anxiety still is persistent. But lately I've tried just purposely blocking it out and telling myself not to worry, and that works too.

It's a gamble for me.

·
Grind
2,433 Posts
I'm in love with Mari-Jane, and I'm a big time advocate that it can be addicting lol. That being said, I think it's potential to seriously harm the user is maybe 1% the risk of hard drugs like crack, heroin, even alcohol.
And I also know smoking weed is dangerous. Obviously inhaling any type of smoke into the lungs multiple times a day can't be good for me lol. As for weed making me stupid, I would really have to disagree with that. I become quite smart when I'm high. I can speak more clearly, my thoughts flow easier and I'm less distracted. I sometimes have short term memory lapses while I'm high, but I'm pretty good when I'm sober...which is almost never, but that's besides the point lol.

I've only said weed is no big deal, when in comparison to things that are already legal. The government can't tell me that they have made weed illegal because 1)it's harmful to my health, and 2)it's addicting and can lead to harder drug use, when they make a killing off selling alcohol and tobacco, two of the deadly drugs we've ever created.
Weed is illegal because the government doesn't think they'll make enough money off of it. The black market(local drug dealers) for weed would still thrive. If they priced them too high(no pun intended) I'd just buy off my guy instead of the ones in stores. They'd still get the people who don't know a dealer, but would it be worth it? They seem to make more money off arresting people who have weed and throwing them in jail.
Thats not why marijuana is illegal...if you really think that marijuana isnt an addictive drug, or dependent drug, quit using it, otherwise you really cant say much about that...

And thats no where close to why marijuana is illegal...first of all, alcohol is already legal, thats one problem the world, america, where ever you live at, deals with...second, if they make weed legal, which is a perscribed medicine, where will they draw the line??, people will want pills legal, so on and so forth...this really isnt even an arguable debate, cause its never going to be legal, move to amsterdam, thats really the only option...

I understand why you believe what you believe, and i hope you understand why i believe what i believe...

Smoking Marijuana:

Pros:

Unatural "highs"
A good laugh
Something to do
Social connections

Cons:

Lung cancer
Drug dependency
Unmorality
Regret
The unability to face life and its problems to build character and self esteem
Paranoia
Increased anxiety
Denial of whats infront of your face
Changes your brain to believe things that arent true
Unhealthy relationships with the drug itself and people who use it

·
Registered
47 Posts
Honestly bignate you could replace weed with any other drug that alters the mind and still have all those same pros and cons. To me it doesn't matter what chemical you use to help your through something as long as you don't totally depend on it.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Haha man, I'm sorry but that second paragraph reminded me of this::teeth

·
Banned
1,375 Posts

Thats not why marijuana is illegal...if you really think that marijuana isnt an addictive drug, or dependent drug, quit using it, otherwise you really cant say much about that...

And thats no where close to why marijuana is illegal...first of all, alcohol is already legal, thats one problem the world, america, where ever you live at, deals with...second, if they make weed legal, which is a perscribed medicine, where will they draw the line??, people will want pills legal, so on and so forth...this really isnt even an arguable debate, cause its never going to be legal, move to amsterdam, thats really the only option...

I understand why you believe what you believe, and i hope you understand why i believe what i believe...

Smoking Marijuana:

Pros:

Unatural "highs"
A good laugh
Something to do
Social connections

Cons:

Lung cancer
Drug dependency
Unmorality
Regret
The unability to face life and its problems to build character and self esteem
Paranoia
Increased anxiety
Denial of whats infront of your face
Changes your brain to believe things that arent true
Unhealthy relationships with the drug itself and people who use it
I'm in love with Mari-Jane, and I'm a big time advocate that it can be addicting lol.
You might wanna make sure I didn't say "I think marijuana is addicting" before you accuse me of not thinking marijuana can be addicting.

For me, the pros are constant happiness and contentness. And that's all I'm looking for in life. You should be looking for the same. Whatever it is, I hope you find it.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Damn the devil's weed and its unmorality!

Ahem, anyway.

Smoke all the weed you want. It should be legal and people should be allowed to have their fun...

But to say that's its not addictive is silly. Please see attached: the stats from the 2005 report on Ontario's Withdrawal Management Centres (AKA detox) showing the substances used by clients on admission, broken down by location. Note that alcohol is #1 (always) and that pot and crack fight it out for the #2 spot, depending on the location of the centre (large cities vs small). Also note that weed outscores coke as well, though that probably has as much to do with economics as anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I like how you say you have no problem smoking cigarettes or drinking, when I think cigarettes are so much worse than weed. Maybe it's the fact that one entire side of my family basically smoked themselves to slow painful deaths, or that after multiple health problems they continue to smoke because it's so addicting, or that weed isn't so mainstream and accepted that people can kill themselves in public legally like they can with cigarettes, but I don't mind people wanting to smoke it every once in a while as long as it's not hurting anyone else.
Cigarettes have been declining in popularity. Smoking inside public buildings has been banned in many states, teenagers no longer consider smoking to be inherently 'cool', and its becoming more and more acceptable to complain about smokers or denounce them. This is the exact opposite with weed, it seems. The biggest difference, for me, is the fact that smokers don't have bumper stickers; they don't have pro-smoking campaigns and propaganda. No one is trying to convince me that smoking cigarettes is totally healthy and safe, despite scientific evidence.

Also, I can stomach physical harm better than mental harm. I just cant get around the idea of allowing people to screw with their cognitive abilities like that with pot.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
-paranoia
-can trigger schizophrenia
Honestly, I think the vast majority of people who had problems with schizophrenia after using MJ were predisposed to it anyway. Meaning any little thing was apt to push them over the edge anyway. If it hadn't been pot, it would have probably been a bad relationship or the pure stress of living or something.

There has to be a reason why some people can smoke it pretty heavily all their lives and be at least as OK as most people who have the occasional drink while others have problems after short periods of heavy use.

And the paranoia that sometimes comes on strong while you're high goes away when you're not and doesn't tend to be nearly as bad if you don't have anything to be worried about.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts