Votes: 165 84.2%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.8%
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Custom User Title
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering. Until a little while ago, I just assumed everyone could, but I was talking to my two friends who are about four years younger than me and I found out that they don't. I thought it was kind of odd. Personally, I go back and forth in cursive and printing when I'm writing. It's just quicker and more expressive.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
i do love cursive english..i have a good handwriting..won prizes too at school

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Yeah, we learned that in second grade when I was in elementary school. I don't know if they still teach it, though.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I feel silly - what is cursive?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Yes, but it gets messed up if I try to go too quickly. My normal quick writing has some use of cursive letters.

They forced us to learn it in third grade because supposedly some day we were going to have to always write in cursive and printing would not be acceptable, but it turned out that the only place printing was not accepted was fourth grade and that writing in cursive is not actually the essential life skill they made it out to be. Meanwhile, they did not teach typing skills at all.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Yes, we had cursive writing rammed down our throats in elementary school. It was a must. So, now, I can write it fairly well if I want to.

My standard style, though, is a hybrid of printing and cursive.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Wow, so are kids not being taught cursive nowadays? If so, what a shame!

·
giraffe
8,742 Posts
We were forced to learn it in 3rd grade, and have never used it since, except for in my signature. -_- Why did they waste our time? Should have taught us typing instead.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I feel silly - what is cursive?
Cletis posted one style. This is the version I learned in the second grade (1982-1983). It is called the Zaner-Bloser technique:

I write cursive all the time - even as a techie. I write down notes from my meetings.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
^ I didn't know they had different versions. Apparently I learned the same one.

Cursive was also referred to as "longhand" at my school.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I was taught it at school but I just had to grab some paper to see if I still could.... little rusty but I still got it ..tttiiisssss B)

·
Invisible Threadkiller
1,895 Posts
My kids were taught for one year (grade 2 or 3) but don't use it any more. They are taught more keyboarding now. Like a few above, mine is often a hybrid. Cursive can be written faster than printing. For legibility sake I print more at work so there isn't any confusion.

What's sad is when my wife wrote a letter in cursive to the school and they didn't know how to read it. It was perfectly legible cursive but she had to rewrite it in standard text.

I also know how to write calligraphy even though I am a bit rusty. It amazes people when they compare my normal writing to my calligraphy. It takes a lot longer to write though.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
No, I have dyspraxia so my writing is illegible enough without purposefully making it more so through the addition of unnecessary squiggles and loops.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I find writing in cursive easier and quicker. Printing feels slow, uncomfortable and wrong, kind of like having to pause after every step while walking. It's an alien concept to me that one would 'give it up' and lose the ability after school.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I used to but haven't tried it for years. We were taught in second grade and I used it up until about eighth grade. I haven't used it since.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts