Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Do you have a tendency to ruminate about the mistakes you make in social situations (which causes you to harshly criticize yourself and later avoid social situations)?

2. Do you feel so worthless that there's not a single thing you can think of that you like about yourself? Or, say you have found a justifiable reason to like yourself, do you still find it difficult to accept that reason?

3. Do you find yourself constantly doubting your intelligence and comparing it to others'?

4. In addition to your social anxiety, do you hold a rigid and perfectionistic view about yourself?

5. Do you respond to others' with a lot of verbal pauses and/or at a slow pace because you're so preoccupied with making a mistake?

6. Do you often "blank out" or "freeze up" in social situations?

These are all things that I've been struggling with for quite a while. I would just like to know if anyone can relate and/or if anyone has advice to give. Thanks guys.

·
Lost
275 Posts
1. Do you have a tendency to ruminate about the mistakes you make in social situations (which causes you to harshly criticize yourself and later avoid social situations)?
All the time. Especially when it involves certain people. It'll be like I make a mistake in conversation with someone, and all I can think about the next few times I talk to them is that one thing; which makes it much harder to keep calm.

2. Do you feel so worthless that there's not a single thing you can think of that you like about yourself? Or, say you have found a justifiable reason to like yourself, do you still find it difficult to accept that reason?
Sometimes. Depending on my mood. I will convince myself I'm alright, then something will go wrong and I'll completely forget the good things I have going for me. :blank

5. Do you respond to others' with a lot of verbal pauses and/or at a slow pace because you're so preoccupied with making a mistake?
When I'm in a conversation with people who make me especially awkward. It's like I'll say anything I can to get them to agree with me so I don't have to face any conflict, and that will usually involve taking loads of mid-sentance thinking breaks.

God yes. If someone asks me a direct question during a conversation my mind would go totally blank. I just can't think straight. Basically, this is me --> :blank

Most people with SA will be able to relate to almost everything you've mentioned.

If you ever wanna talk, you can always pm me :)

·
Banned
76 Posts
1. this changed for me when i started taking supplements to correct health problems that ultimately corrected chemical problems inside my brain. i still do this to a certain extent and nowadays i might only ruminate for a couple seconds before recovering, however in the past i might have replayed that situation for a week.

2. again, working on getting my physical health up to par has solved this problem directly because of changes in chemical levels all up in my head.... :clapall in my head:clap... :clapits all in my head:clap....... now that doesn't bother me and when it does it only lasts a couple seconds before that loop is broken and replace it with a positive loop.

3. i enjoy being competitive with myself and making strides according to my own time line. i let others play into the game that society has set forth. i make accomplishments according to my own set of rules.

4. I am slowly letting go of the perfectionist view and learning to love myself for my strengths as well as my weaknesses and flaws.

5. speaking like that is GOOD... keep doing it... speaking slowly and with pauses is FAR SUPERIOR when compared to speaking quickly and with filler words.

6. that's a reflex that needs to be unlearned. its sucky and it takes time because u need to recognize specifically why you froze, the trigger, and then re-frame it. ... also again physical health helps with this 4 me.

3. Do you find yourself constantly doubting your intelligence and comparing it to others'?

4. In addition to your social anxiety, do you hold a rigid and perfectionistic view about yourself?

These are all things that I've been struggling with for quite a while. I would just like to know if anyone can relate and/or if anyone has advice to give. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well if nobody has said it yet let me say welcome to this forum. :D

I used to post under a different name but due to inactivity I can't even access my old account so now I'm like a new person. I take breaks from coming here but always return and post a thing or two because it makes me feel better and I feel like I am among people who are like me and understand. Basically this is the only place I feel normal.

I totally relate to everything you have listed. Some days are better than others so it's definitely a roller coaster ride. I would have to say ruminating is one of my biggest problems and to the point of being somewhat compulsive. It's like I get this thought in my head and I can't let it go. It's usually involving a problem or something I did or said that I perceived as stupid or bad. Ditto on all the other things. It's interesting that yes we all differ in many ways but we have so many of these things in common.

·
Hated by all females
539 Posts
Yes.

I do all of them all the time, 24x7. It can get tiring and very depressing. :sigh

It's actually funny about #4 because I had an episode of this the other day.
I was bowling and bowled a 205. Most people would view that as a good score. Not me because I know I can do better(I've scored in the 250s-280s numerous times. If I don't do something perfectly then I got furious and throw a temper tantrum. It doesn't have to be a perfect game, just the best of my ability -- wow talk about a atangent

·
Registered
339 Posts

Never, because failure is an illusion. No one ever fails at: talking to others, socializing, telling stories, being friendly, joining in etc. As human beings we create actions that produce results. Thats it. Failure is the judging of these actions in accordance with expectation of how other people or you think you should be acting. And that illusory line of judgement will never become clear. I've found that if i simply enjoy creating those actions, even if i apparently fail, i've not failed at all, just produced a result, so i no longer need to think about it. I can keep doing things that i enjoy.

No, because i remind myself that my mind is extraordinary with extraordinary abilities. What's the benefit to oneself in comparing with other people? Usually those extraordinary abilities turn inward and its easy to see how those powers can be used against oneself.

No one ever fails at talking/speaking with other people regardless of how many pauses. Being preoccupied like this is a type of performance anxiety which can be moved beyond by remembering we mainly create for ourself what happens in our life. When we choose to create relationships in which it is ok to pause and be ok about it, the pauses ironically disappear.

A lot actually, it's quite refreshing. It's relaxing to know i dont have to be perfect giving slick answers to everything. I get jumbled, blurt out random things, like painting a weird multi coloured painting. The trick is to allow it when moving through anxiety, it's ok, it's quite funny actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.