Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hot Garbage Stew
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I can hide my outward symptoms in social situations but still feel the anxiety inside or afterward. I can act like I'm not nervous and even enjoy myself sometimes in situations that I would have thought would trigger anxiety, but getting rid of the feeling is the real problem. Does coming out of your shell and taking risks have to be done frequently to overcome the feeling of anxiety?

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,710 Posts
I hide my anxiety in my backyard. Ive tried the fake it till you make it approach but didnt work.

·
Hot Garbage Stew
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aww, well figures, i've been doing it for years. some situations i've gotten a little used to.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
Sometimes I can hide my outward symptoms in social situations but still feel the anxiety inside or afterward. I can act like I'm not nervous and even enjoy myself sometimes in situations that I would have thought would trigger anxiety, but getting rid of the feeling is the real problem. Does coming out of your shell and taking risks have to be done frequently to overcome the feeling of anxiety?
I like to think that I can, but considering my success with people, perhaps I still am giving off an awkward vibe.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I try to be outgoing and confident even when i don't feel that way. The more I do it though, the easier it gets. The more people I meet and the more strangers I talk to, I find I care less what those people think and that liberates me a lot from my shell. Thus far, I have recently become comfortable with my family and with the people I play soccer with, some of them I have known a little while, others I meet for the first time there. Team sports are a great way to meet people and practice social skills, and more importantly, work on anxiety.

As for school, I am still a anxious wreck but I'm making small improvements.

Remember, a part of overcoming SA is to acknowledge small breakthroughs. I do believe if you fail to do this, you will eventually discourage yourself from going out there and combatting your SA, and you'll never get over it. It also provides you with confidence. (Few people want to be friends with someone with little or no confidence - I've had no confidence my whole life, until recently.....)

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
I can hide them to a point. As long as the environment is calm and relaxed and nobody really puts me on the spot with anything. For example, if someone asked me to sing a song or something, I'd pretty much fall apart. But I can usually handle a two minute encounter with a cashier or something. I don't like it but I can do it.

·
Hot Garbage Stew
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are some people who I can never feel anxious with, maybe annoyed or bored with them:S I'm never anxious around my friends unless they tell me they're bringing someone new along. I feel weird if they see me acting differently around certain people, then reverting back to my normal self.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I like to think I hide it well. I have been told by many, most of which don't know me very well, that I am laid back and chill and so on. Which is kinda thew case but I'm a lot more high strung then I come off, the laid back projection is me hiding my nerves. So if ppl perceive me as being laid back, i guess i hide it well.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
I think I'm actually really good at hiding my anxiety.

I've been told before by acquiantaces I'm very outgoing and friendly. I've had a couple instances where I've mentioned to someone that I'm very uncomfortable around crowds and that I've an introvert and I get a "what? You? Really?!" response.

For I think my anxiety symptoms become a lot more apparent when someone is around me alot. I can usually pass off my first awkward interaction with someone by saying I'm tired or wasn't paying attention or something. Since not alot of people are around me a lot and I have no social life, I don't think my anxiety is exposed to that many people.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I was at a party once and someone told me after that she had felt all nervous and wished she could have felt as calm as me. Apparently I just sat there and laughed at people's jokes and listened to their stories. Little did she know that I was just too terrified to say anything all night. So I guess I hid it well?

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I sometimes "copy" how a confident person I know reacts to situations in order to hide my symptons. I guess doing this makes me feel the same confidence that that person feels and since I know them and observed how they react to situations it's easy to catch on. This is particularly useful when answering the phone (since it's vocal only), so much so, I can pretty much answer with confidence.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
I can control it for the most part. I'm really good with eye contact and I think that helps a lot in projecting a more outgoing attitude. People still think I'm a bit on the shy side but not so much that it puts people off. The only thing I worry about is shaking. Most times it's not noticeable but sometimes I think it is. If someone does notice I just say that I'm cold. I'm really skinny so they kinda just believe me and offer suggestions to make me warmer, haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts