Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can...but only 65% of the time. I've learned how to hide it very well, all the while stressing out about how others see me, as well as analysing them and myself. But sometimes I just think I come across as awkward. And I'm always scared that I'm boring.

I raise the volume of my voice now, because people kept telling me I was quiet and they couldn't hear me. I also try to ask questions in conversation as well as contribute. But I can't help having a very lame sense of humour and jokes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm right there with you. I can hide mine 90% of the time. With most people, I don't have physical issues like sweating, trembling, and stuttering.

However, I still have problems with tone and conversation. I'm too monotone and often cannot think of what to say - but I'm working on it. The only time I really struggle is when it's just me versus multiple attractive women. Then it's hell.

·
alien monk
8,555 Posts
no i don't hide it too well. i almost never talk. but i think i seem confident sometimes. if i seemed less confidant i think people would take pity on me and talk to me.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Only if it is not severe. Light to moderate, pretty much yes.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I can generally hide the manifestations of my shyness one on one. I don't tremble or blush much or have a shaky voice, etc. etc. in most situations. But if I have to talk to a group of people or do public speaking I would turn into a tower of jello. The less people in a group that I know, the more stressed I get.

But I am already considered as being weird/odd/eccentric/nonfunctional, etc. by others. My avoidant behavior and lack of conversational skills ensures that I am viewed as weird no matter how well I try to hide my SA.

·
Quag filante
8,709 Posts
No, I don't think I can because I have severe SA and try so much to hold it in. I get paranoid about it. I worry that if I show even the slightest bit of my SA, I'll look like a fool.

·
FAKE
1,117 Posts
i think i can "pass" for normal in most rote public exchanges (saying hello to an old person, superficial pleasantries with a cashier etc.) but in less non-committal, more socially intense situations (conversing with a classmate or coworker for instance), it gets painfully awkward heh. for one, the stakes are higher in these situations as far as potentially making a meaningful connection with another human and secondly you are far more likely to see the person again and if you **** it up initially, there is that history of awkwardness between you and the other person.

·
Registered
25 Posts
im am pretty much invisible to my teachers and people who are not my friends but sometimes when someone who is new and does notice me and talks to me i say about 1 word and look down at my hands and chew my lip :/

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I almost turn it into an art form haha. There are a lot of "tricks" that I noticed work.

The past 2 years I have managed to hide it almost completely. Thank God though. It was so horrible, I blushed immediately, spoke very soft and unclear and was generally a mess when I had to talk to people.

As I hide it though, I can't get rid of the anxiety inside me. So during conversations and what not, I still can't think of what to say sometimes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's a lot easier to hide with guys. I've been told that I come off as serious or stuck up, which usually isn't very accurate. Women are much more perceptive. They often have a sixth sense for this kind of stuff and can tell when I'm uncomfortable, which makes me even more so.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Not particularly, I rarely talk, and when I do if anyone but the person I'm talking to turns to listen my voice just drops off, and its quiet enough as it is that people don't often hear me well anyway. Sometimes people think I'm ignoring them and have asked behind my back if I don't like them or something, but it's not the case. I basically feel like a blockage in the stream of conversation and it never flows, I have short answers to questions, or ask stupid ones that didn't really need to be asked, or state the obvious, basically any people I have to spent extended amounts of time with. often past the initial meetings and greetings stage they start to learn that some thing's up, which I think is why I have been able to pass a job interview, but never be able to hold a job, or even finish the contract I was under before being laid off

·
Registered
82 Posts
kinda, at work brief exchanges on business related issues with clients and co workers I do all right. If my interaction or communication strays from work related stuff I start to shut down and people notice. What do they notice though?

I can relate to having to raise my voice to, it is something I need be conscious of otherwise I will only mumble.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very well. I just seem sort of quiet sometimes. Its strange, people perceive me as the calm & cool girl who doesn't ever get overly emotional, but its only because I'm uncomfortable with showing my emotions. They also misjudge my "calm" and quiet impression as arrogance. The only time you can see I have anxiety issues is anything public speaking related because I will physically reveal it.:[ its so annoying

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
No, I use to hide it well but now I can barely hide my SA. I hardly talk in groups (if ever im in one) and you can pretty much read my face for my emotions so if im uncomfortable or anxious you can tell. At times my voice trembles, idk why

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Has anyone ever hidden it from a significant other?
There's this guy I like and am interested in. We've only met once in person but have talked online since then. I try and hide my awkwardness but I don't know. I think it shows. I'm nervous for our second encounter in real life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well... I think I actually overcompensate by being pretty loud when I do talk. Oh, and I'm always look like I'm in a hurry to finish something, or go somewhere else. Don't have much control over it. People have told me I look intimidating/confident and even arrogant. I guess I unconsciously try to look really purposeful. Though I'm not really doing something extremely important. And I actually feel really isolated a lot.

There is a big give away though:
My hands sweat, especially when I'm in the spotlight, or it's time to perform --like, I did social dancing for a while (Argentine tango), and I would feel really anxious and my hands would sweat really bad. Guys would dance with would wipe their hands off on their pants after dancing with me D:
I mean, they didn't make a show of it, or say anything, so it's not like they were being actively mean to me... but when I saw them do that it just rubbed in how obviously sweaty and weird I was.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts