Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SkaterIzzy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have a big competition on Friday and I'm really nervous about it, its only my second time ever competing or skating in front of judges or audience (excluding ice pantomimes). Its an international competition with around 40 teams competing (its synchronised ice skating btw watch this link to see one of the best teams
). Last time we competed it got so scared and anxious and whatever that I was shaking, crying and hyperventilating unsure if I was gonna pass out or not (fortunately I didn't), if anyone happens to have any experience in a competitive situation or anything like that or could help me in anyway that would be great bc i don't want this to happen again, thanks :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
not sure i can help you but just wanted to say i admire you for doing this, i wish i was brave enough to do something like that. also just remember we all die one day and it will be forgotten ;)

·
Perceptive Mind
84 Posts
I do have some exp

Fortunately, I have some experience being in a competitive situation.

The first advice I can give is to be ready completely before the competition. Practice and all that....

Try looking up for some help on relaxing yourself mentally and physically before the comp.

Visualize yourself being there and picture yourself doing great and being completely focused on yourself....

other than that, I can't say much bc I know nothing abt Ice Skating.:roll

·
SkaterIzzy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

not sure i can help you but just wanted to say i admire you for doing this, i wish i was brave enough to do something like that.
Thank you! It took me a while to build up, I declined some individual competitions as I didn't think I would be able to do it, I almost didn't do that competition but I'm so glad I did and it does show that if you're in the right frame of mind, everything does pay off! I just hope it does on friday!

·
SkaterIzzy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Fortunately, I have some experience being in a competitive situation.

The first advice I can give is to be ready completely before the competition. Practice and all that....

Try looking up for some help on relaxing yourself mentally and physically before the comp.

Visualize yourself being there and picture yourself doing great and being completely focused on yourself....

other than that, I can't say much bc I know nothing abt Ice Skating.:roll
Thanks for your advice! I haven't got any more practise sessions so I think I'll just have to trust myself and my team on that and the visualisation we all do together as a team just before we compete. I have researched some relaxation stuff so I am going to try that as well, thanks :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are to do well, you must have the correct mindset. You must realize that the only thing you need to focus on is yourself, don't be intimidated by the competition. Weather you succeed or fail does not matter at the end of the day so long as you did your best. Always remember that.

·
SkaterIzzy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done woo

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I competed on friday, very nervous for about a week before and it just kept intensifying through the day with me not being able to sleep the night before and not being able to eat anything, I then got asked to go on and represent my club in the opening ceremony which was great, it really calmed my nerves as I got to skate again before I competed and had a bit of fun completely failing in the flash mob, nice to go out with the union jack though. Then it came to the competition, I kept talking to my coach and my friends in the dressing room and practising my call until it was time for us to skate, we hadn't had the best practise that morning but had to remain positive. We had not the best skate with a couple of falls but still managed to place a respectable fourth, so overall very happy that I managed to keep control of my nerves and everything :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts