Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you? My friend says he likes a girl and wants her to be his gf, except he's never met her face to face (or seen a picture of her). They're penpals and have chatted on msn before. Apparently she's a smart and funny girl, but seriously, he doesn't know what she looks like...

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
I think he could but he has to have been talking to her for a long time.

·
slave
4,382 Posts
It's easy to fall for someone online because you can't see their flaws. It's very easy to fall for someone online but it can hurt just as much (if not worse in my case) when it doesn't work out. Online it's easy to share personal things because you are communicating through text. Not face to face. You don't have to worry about how to look or what their facial expression means, and so on. And you can even 'edit' what is said. It's like the perfect date that never happened.

·
Sigh...
856 Posts
Having been an MMO player, i'd be careful. As things like this tend to end badly, mainly because, in a lot of cases the said girl is a guy. A lot of guys masquerade around the internet, pretending they're female. I've saw it happen, and tbh I don't know why they do it. Seems wrong in my eyes so yeh, IMO, I'd tell your friend to rethink. Otherwise it may end up terribly wrong for him if he's not careful.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
Well yeah, I don't see why they can't. I have a crush on this one guy I met online and I've never even seen a picture of him. It's personality that matters in the end anyway right?

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I don't know about this. Though many people would probably say no, you need to meet them in real life. It's too easy to apply the traits you'd like someone to have when you chat with them on the net. You build up a huge image of who you want them to be and who they are and what they are like, and then when you meet them in real life, they are not anything you thought they were. The said girl could turn out to be an obese chinese guy for all he knows. Not that I'm saying I have anything against obese and/or chinese people. I'm just using it as an example of what can happen with these things. Maybe you should tell him to exchange photos with her so that they can actually see what each other looks like, rather than letting their minds fill in the blanks with what they hope each other will look like.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Yes, It is possible. I did fall for an online friend once, but we broke it off when things got too frustratingly complicated. Maybe I was having a weak moment, and just in love with the idea of him. Long distance relationships don't ever really work. I learned my lesson, and will try not to do that again. You cant really know the real person behind the texts.

It also hurts to break-up with someone you never met.

·
Super Meditator
3,575 Posts
anything is possible.

I once got curry chips with cheese and chilli on top.

·
Super Meditator
3,575 Posts
Well thats a kick in the head for me.

I thought we were golden.

I will now cancel my plans to fly to IL

(is that Iceland or were you just messing)

I had bought 17 wooly tops. So if you have any friends in iceland please lt me know.

·
Its dawn here
6,082 Posts
hmm

Can you? My friend says he likes a girl and wants her to be his gf, except he's never met her face to face (or seen a picture of her). They're penpals and have chatted on msn before. Apparently she's a smart and funny girl, but seriously, he doesn't know what she looks like...
I think I will definitely..
when we can make friends online,why cant we fall in lov ethem..there are chances..
seeing ech other is not important..coz I have met many fake faces around ,pretty also but most of them are weird ...face doesnot at all matter but the one thing that will matter is the physical fitness....i may fall in love if I meet someone online or heard him ...without seeing him...

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,980 Posts
It's possible to fall in love with who you think they are. IRL if they turn out to be the person you think they are, then you're all set (presuming that happens for the other person too).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I'd be careful with who you fall in love with online.

Me and my friend's have certainly had fun exploiting people's feelings;
+more

1 - 20 of 22 Posts