Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
You sure can. You might get more drunk than usual.

Also alcohol basically washes out the SSRI so you experience both alcohol and SSRi withdrawal the next morning. It sucks but if you have benzo's its bearable.

If you must drink then I recommend a long half life SSRI so that hangover isnt too bad. Alcohol essentially binds to SSRI and you pee most of it out.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
You sure can. You might get more drunk than usual.

Also alcohol basically washes out the SSRI so you experience both alcohol and SSRi withdrawal the next morning. It sucks but if you have benzo's its bearable.

If you must drink then I recommend a long half life SSRI so that hangover isnt too bad. Alcohol essentially binds to SSRI and you pee most of it out.
Could you take your pill before you pass out lol?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Could you take your pill before you pass out lol?
It would still wash it out. What you can do is take a multivitamin or B-complex vitamin and this should eliminate most withdrawal by replenishing the vitamins that alcohol takes out of you.

Also if I take an SSRI before sleep it makes me dream weird. I dont like it so i take in in mornings.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No, if you miss a pill here or there it won't matter. After a few days, stopping them without weaning yourself off will probably lead to side effects like mood swings. I went cold turkey once and I couldn't believe how easily I was angered.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Everyone is affected differently. I can drink a few drinks (like 2-3) and be fine. Anything more than that especially in the 5-6 drink range, then I'm more prone to blacking out, although sometimes I'm fine haha.

·
Here and Now
1,189 Posts
Like xande said, it seems to effect everyone differently. Im on paxil and alcohol effects me no differently than it always has...i can get drunk and have no problems. And i definately don't go through ssri withdrawal the next morning like someone mentioned would happen

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
SSRIs are the worst for boozing, the day after you get really really sick and don't want to eat a thing as opposed to SNRIs which don't seem to boost your hangover.

·
Registered
501 Posts
like get drunk or is that dangerous
It's not usually dangerous from an interaction point of view, but it's not recommended to drink to excess because it can make some anti-depressants less effective or complicate treatment..

Alcohol is a depressant (doesn't mean it makes you depressed, it's a term used to describe its mode of action on the brain) so if you drink to excess and regularly, it can make your depression/anxiety symptoms worse when you're sober.

Then you won't know whether the drug is ineffective or it's because of the drinking. It just complicates treating depression or anxiety so doctors only recommend you normally drink in moderation or avoid alcohol at altogether if you can, at least until the med has had time to work properly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Like xande said, it seems to effect everyone differently. Im on paxil and alcohol effects me no differently than it always has...i can get drunk and have no problems. And i definately don't go through ssri withdrawal the next morning like someone mentioned would happen
Well, your full of crap bud. I have seen the effects with my own two eyes. And I have also felt the effect.

Alcohol washes out SSRIs. It binds to the compound and you pee it out.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
opinion is divided

·
Here and Now
1,189 Posts
Well, your full of crap bud. I have seen the effects with my own two eyes. And I have also felt the effect.

Im just stating what happens to me in my experience...i've no reason to lie. If you don't believe me, thats fine. But i've been on paxil for 2 years and i've been drunk 100 times or more since then. And i've also withdrew from paxil cold turkey before. And the day after drinking is nothing like withdrawing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Now that I'm on Paxil alcohol isn't nearly as fun. I think it's because I feel so much better normally than I did before. Alcohol used to make me feel so happy and social. Now when I drink I just get all the negative effects.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I've felt the loss of SSRI efficacy after drinking, but what's your source for "binding to the compound"? Or do you just mean the fact that alcohol's a diuretic and will increase urination, which I assume would dilute the med concentrations after you rehydrate.

The alcohol-SSRI "washing out" could have something to do with tryptophan metabolism,

Examined the effects of acute ethanol consumption by normal male volunteers on tryptophan (TR) availability to the brain and related aspects of TR metabolism and disposition. 32 Ss (aged 22-35 yrs), who had fasted overnight, were administered ethanol. Their blood ethanol concentration was assessed before and after ethanol administration. Results show that acute ethanol consumption lowered circulating TR concentration and availability to the brain. This decrease in TR concentration was not associated with altered binding to albumin and may therefore be due to enhancement of hepatic TR pyrrolase activity. It is suggested that, under these conditions brain serotonin synthesis is likely to be impaired, and as a result, a possible depletion of brain serotonin in susceptible individuals may induce aggressive behavior after alcohol consumption. Implications for alcohol-induced aggressive behavior and depression are discussed.

doi: 10.1055/s-2007-979626
I also noticed that after drinking only 2 pints of beer during MAOI withdrawal, the next day I felt absolutely dire, as if the withdrawal was doubled.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can but look for a hell of a hangover.

Paxil is awesome to drink on but its one hell of a hangover the next day.

You might get drunk a bit more easily, but there's no major interaction. Alcohol has, however, always knocked out SSRIs' effects for precisely 2 days when I've been drinking.
Took me a little longer to feel normal (2-3days)afterwards guess it depends on how much you drink

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.