Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 25 year old male. Who has recently been diagnosed with Attention deficit disorder inattentive subtype. But i think in the pass I have had some issues with anxiety.

I'm guessing i had social anxiety when i was younger. I was really quiet. I would keep to myself .I got anxious when someone i didn't know asked me a question, i would just go blank and wouldn't say a thing. Would always thought people were talking about me. Hated being the centre of attention,
speeches. Didn't have much of a social life and still don't.

Kinda got over these symptoms and thought they were behind me. Then i started on meds for my ADD which one of the side effects was anxiety.
Was going good for a couple of weeks but now i have a lot more anxiety than I normally would. Now looking back i think i still have some symptoms of social anxiety, which i thought i had over came..

So my question.... Does someone completely overcome social anxiety disorder or is it there for life? Or could it be a different type of anxiety disorder that i have?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The short answer is YES.

The long answer is those that overcome SA always have an awareness of what SA is. So even long after you recover, if you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, you will be able to label your feelings as SA feelings and accept them as something very normal (so they will be reduced the next time you find yourself in the same situation)

Someone who never "had" SA will just feel uncomfortable without knowning whats going wrong or he might just say "damn, i hated that job interview" or he might express his uncomfortability with anger....its all the same thing.

Option 1 is clearly better, because if you know whats bothering you, you can "fix" it.

P.S. People really need to understand that SA is not some illness they happened to be born with. Its a way their feelings work at this point in time (due to past experiences,enviroment and maybe partly genetics). When their thoughts change, their feelings change. Naturally you can still feel anxious at some situations (But so do _ALL_ people... except for Jeesus,Budha and 2-3 more), but because you know what's going on, you are much better off than the majority of other people in such situations

1 - 2 of 2 Posts