Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
La Vie En Rose
1,673 Posts
I was under the impression that if you loved someone, it meant you respected them and the relationship boundaries and would care about not hurting them, intentionally and unintentionally including not putting yourself in a vulnerable position where there could be temptation (so no, being drunk isn't an excuse). And for you to cheat, it means there was an agreement to be exclusive, so no, I think you cannot love someone and cheat.

To cheat is not only devastating to the person because they thought they could TRUST that you wouldn't hurt them, but it's really disrespectful and extremely selfish. It's much different if you guys agreed to be in an open relationship or somehow weren't exclusive.

I don't think you can love someone really and not respect them. You can be attracted, but not love.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yes its possible. sometimes you can love a person for real but selfish desires will make you do things you think you can get away with.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I wouldn't cheat regardless of whether I'm in love or not.

Cheating is proper of weak, irrational people; if you're no longer interested in your current partner or you're more interested in another person the break the relationship and then do whatever you want.

·
La Vie En Rose
1,673 Posts
I wouldn't cheat regardless of whether I'm in love or not.

Cheating is proper of weak, irrational people; if you're no longer interested in your current partner or you're more interested in another person the break the relationship and then do whatever you want.
Some people don't have such integrity and want their piece of cake on the side. But I suspect that unless both people openly expressed it was an open relationship, that in an exclusive one, the one cheating probably wouldn't want their partner to be greedy like them. They're able to justify their cheating as no biggie, but their partner cheating on them would be a crime. Quite hypocritical.

·
Registered
141 Posts
NO, I really doubt it. There are a lot of weird relationships out there but I can't imagine cheating on someone you love. Its something deeply hurtful and causes the other person a lot of pain and damages their self esteem. If you really cared about her/ him, you would not want to betray their trust or put them through any kind of suffering.

To be completely honest, I actually think its pretty repulsive.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NO, I really doubt it. There are a lot of weird relationships out there but I can't imagine cheating on someone you love. Its something deeply hurtful and causes the other person a lot of pain and damages their self esteem. If you really cared about her/ him, you would not want to betray their trust or put them through any kind of suffering.

To be completely honest, I actually think its pretty repulsive.
hmmmmmmm

·
computer says no
605 Posts
a females job is hard, she has to find a male (a strong male) and be selective about it.
the males job is to spread his seed to as many females as possible. This entire idea of only mating with one person for the rest of your life what bull**** idea is this. Have as many partners as possible, marriage is a establishment by the state to keep assets like property in a family and also change how the government taxes you.

So would i cheat, its not cheating if she never finds out.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Joe Black: I don't care Bill. I love her.
William Parrish: How perfect for you - to take whatever you want because it pleases you. That's not love.
Joe Black: Then what is it?
William Parrish: Some aimless infatuation which, for the moment, you feel like indulging - it's missing everything that matters.
Joe Black: Which is what?
William Parrish: Trust, responsibility, taking the weight for your choices and feelings, and spending the rest of your life living up to them. And above all, not hurting the object of your love.
Joe Black: So that's what love is according to William Parrish?
William Parrish: Multiply it by infinity, and take it to the depth of forever, and you will still have barely a glimpse of what I'm talking about.
Joe Black: Those were my words.
William Parrish: They're mine now.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why would you want to cheat if you are in love? The whole question doesn't make any sense.

Sex is not difficult to get. Finding love is one of the hardest things in life.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Of course. Love is never any better than the lover. Violent people love violently. Dishonest people love dishonestly. Only a perfect person can love perfectly.

(Toni Morrison paraphrase)

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you think that you are capable of understanding true love and what it means to be in it.

Then you would also be aware that relationships can have a much higher negative on those you supposedly love truly.
So you would understand a bit more about why you feel the need too? and stuff like that.

If you consider cheating when you believe to be in a true love, then it's clear that you're not understanding either of them. Because if love is true, why would you even think of straying.

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
Of course. Love is never any better than the lover. Violent people love violently. Dishonest people love dishonestly. Only a perfect person can love perfectly.

(Toni Morrison paraphrase)
You don't have to love someone perfectly to not do something you know would hurt them. All you have to do is love them, at all.

You can't do something as bad at cheating on someone and then say you love them. Well, you can say that, but you can say anything you want, character is shown through actions, and if you cheat, then you're showing your character...you care more about personal satisfaction and desires than you do about your partners feelings. You can't be that selfish and then turn around and say you love someone that you'd do that too, and be taken serious.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
You can't do something as bad at cheating on someone and then say you love them.
Of course you can. If you define love in such a way that you would never intentionally harm someone you love then I would say human beings are incapable of love.

What I'm saying, and what Toni Morrison meant, is that the quality of your love is dependent on your character. If you are insecure your love will be a jealous insecure love. The girlfriend who points kitchen knife at you when you come home late one night loves you. It's just that her love is contaminated by her insecurities and her character flaws. Those men who kill their wives/girlfriends and then kill themselves really did "love" them. It's just that their love is mixed with a certain amount of evil.

If someone cheats on you it doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't love you. It could be that they simply have a poor character. They're dishonest and lack self control.

The question is not does he/she love me? The question is what kind of love is he/she offering me? The better the person the better the love.

·
Father, Son & Holyzilla
7,386 Posts
If the sex is bad or boring or they're not having sex at all the I can see a lot of people cheat on their lovers for that reason alone.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts