Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a fairly confident person. Most of the time I don't really give a **** what people think of me, though I do have my moments, but I've also done many things that most people with SA would find unbelievable. At the same time I most definitely have physical symptoms of SA. I blush, my muscles get very tense, and it affects me by triggering migraines sometimes. It doesn't mean that I don't get nervous, but more like I do, but I just suck it up and take the pain. I guess this might have to do with the way I grew up as well.

I feel out of place on this site sometimes, and sometimes wonder if other members must think I don't suffer as much as them though.

I would say the only difference between me and most of the people here is that I don't really care that people witness my overactive autonomic nervous system, because I know all the neurological reasons for it, know that everyone has problems of their own that I would rather not have, and have never really felt like anyone else has a right to judge me or tell me how I should be.

Like I said, I'm not perfect on this, and have my weak moments or days, but ever since I was a little kid I've pretty much been this way (including the physical suffering from SA).

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?

Does anyone else feel the opposite, but still believe that I suffer just as much?

Thanks. :)

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
Absolutely. It annoys me when people assume one has to be shy to have SA. I'm not shy at all, in fact most people I meet think I'm very confident and assertive and I never let anyone bully me- I'm very good at saying "NO" and I have quite a few friends. My SA comes from a deep fear of blushing. I get all the physical symptoms- nausea, rapid heartbeat, dizziness, and I avoid parties like the plague. I'm very avoidant, I have skipped classes at university and cancelled appointments, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am confident in who i am most of the time (maybe even more so than people without SA) and in many situations i'm alright, i think my main problem is agoraphobia and the SA is still there but i am improving. i don't think it's exactly a confidence problem cause many times we accept ourselves for who we are but we just fear others will judge us incorrectly and see someone else not really our authentic selves.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I am getting there, but it took time.....almost five years.

·
Registered
625 Posts
As a kid I was extremely avoidant and obviously not confident. But now, I'd say my situation sounds relatively close to yours. I worked really hard at it. Now, I still experience the physical symptoms, blushing being the most noticable. I can also stumble on my words, and have a hard time being articulate. And sometimes blank out when someone is talking to me. Despite that, I interview people all the time, and now while I care about how people think, I obsess about it way less than before. So, yeah, I definitely think it's possible to be confident and still experience symptoms of SA. I figure it's something that I'll always have to fight, but I'll try not to let it limit me as much as possible.

·
Registered
625 Posts
i don't think it's exactly a confidence problem cause many times we accept ourselves for who we are but we just fear others will judge us incorrectly and see someone else not really our authentic selves.
Wow- I think this sentence is spot on. That's exactly how I feel. I'm confident in who I am. I'm not necessarily confident in how I come across.

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
I'm confident in who I am. I'm not necessarily confident in how I come across.
Same here. I'm fine with myself, which is why I'm always alarmed to find that I sometimes sound as though I'm not. I'll ask myself, why did my voice just do that? I'm in a really good mood.

·
Quo
101 Posts
It annoys me when people assume one has to be shy to have SA.
I'm guilty of this, if even seemingly confident people have social anxiety, I find that really troubling. Not because the person actually has it, but because it sort of proves that you can't really tell what other people are like from just talking to them.

I could never tell whether or not somebody who seems outgoing on the outside had issues on the inside and I find that sort of worrying because it means that people aren't what they appear to be - I do my best to present myself to others as genuinely as possible and always assumed others did the same, if I'm shy, I'm shy, and if I'm awkward, I'm awkward - I couldn't conceal it even if I wanted to.

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Depends on the situation for me, if I am at a club, pub or party my confidence is negative but at work or some location where I am comfortable my confidence can be quite high. So yeah guess it depends on a lot of variables but I would say the majority with SA have their moments.

·
I am, etc.
1,381 Posts
At some point I found it more important to be perceived as 'normal' than anything else. I have maintained this to the point where nearly no one, including my immediate family, understand the extent of my SA. My personal life / relationships deeply suffer from this, and sometimes I feel like an outsider even here. Most people I deal with in day to day life would be shocked at the extent that SA affects my life, as I come across as a reasonably confident, somewhat charming person, yet I'm often full of anxieties and I'm deeply depressed when I'm alone.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I am a fairly confident person. Most of the time I don't really give a **** what people think of me, though I do have my moments, but I've also done many things that most people with SA would find unbelievable. At the same time I most definitely have physical symptoms of SA. I blush, my muscles get very tense, and it affects me by triggering migraines sometimes. It doesn't mean that I don't get nervous, but more like I do, but I just suck it up and take the pain. I guess this might have to do with the way I grew up as well.

I feel out of place on this site sometimes, and sometimes wonder if other members must think I don't suffer as much as them though.

I would say the only difference between me and most of the people here is that I don't really care that people witness my overactive autonomic nervous system, because I know all the neurological reasons for it, know that everyone has problems of their own that I would rather not have, and have never really felt like anyone else has a right to judge me or tell me how I should be.

Like I said, I'm not perfect on this, and have my weak moments or days, but ever since I was a little kid I've pretty much been this way (including the physical suffering from SA).

Does anyone else feel the same way as I do?

Does anyone else feel the opposite, but still believe that I suffer just as much?

Thanks. :)
yeah I feel the same way you do. Sometimes I look at some of the stuff I do and it doesn't seem like something someone with SA would do. I've been shy ever since I was a kid but I've always sort of taken the nervous energy and pushed myself socially. That said, I've found it incredibly difficult to turn acquaintances into real friends. I have a lot of confidence in certain aspects of my life, and zero in others.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't care what people think of me, I haven't since before I developed SA. I'm just not comfortable being around people especially large crowds. I can also do things that wouldn't seem to be consistant with SA but I also do many other things that are very consistant with SA lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts