Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 17, been in therapy for about a year, and I haven't been getting anywhere.

I turn 18 in late August, and I feel that even after then I'm still going to need help, but my mom says that once I turn 18, my insurance is going to be gone.

I have no idea how insurance even works or how much it even costs.
There are people who tell me that if I get a job then it'll be fine, but not to make excuses or anything but I'm too emotionally unstable for a job. I can't even be in public for more than a few minutes or else I'll have a mental breakdown, which is another reason why I want/need help.

All I feel that I really need is a therapist who I could see often (maybe like 2-3 times a week or something) and a psychiatrist to talk to from time to time about my personality disorders (which by the way, I can't even be officially diagnosed with them until the day I turn 18, which I find to be kind of dumb since everyone including myself knows that I have it) and possibly medication.

I'm very concerned about my future once I'm 18, so I hope someone can help shed some light on me.

·
NOTHING MATTERS
108 Posts

·
Registered
8,819 Posts
If you go to college or are in school you should be able to stay on her insurance til 24. If its due to financial reasons paying her to be on her insurance would still be cheaper than finding you own.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why can't you remain on your mom's insurance? Can you talk to her about letting your remain on her insurance until you get yourself in a better position to be able to support yourself. I'm sure there are probably places nearby that offer free support though.
I've been in therapy for a year already, and it hasn't been working, and at this point my mom is already fed up with the whole idea of therapy, she's very religious and believes that prayers will make all of my problems go away... I dunno I have a lot of problems with her, she even wants to kick me out the day I turn 18.
And you say "free" support but that sounds too good to be true :| lol
If you go to college or are in school you should be able to stay on her insurance til 24. If its due to financial reasons paying her to be on her insurance would still be cheaper than finding you own.
Couldn't she choose to cancel the insurance or something though? It's sounds weird but I feel like if that's possible, then that's something she would do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
many places will offer free support, you just have to call and ask around.
Well thank god :blank
Why are you not making progress in therapy? Are you committed to it?
Oh yes. I actually love going to therapy. I'm kind of a psychology geek, and I feel like therapy is a place where I can discuss things about the human mind. In relation to myself, of course.

Anyway, I guess the reason why I haven't made any progress is because the place I've been going to really isn't all that great... I've been with several therapists there and they all just seem like they don't know what they're talking about. They can never really come up with anything helpful to say other than "your thoughts are irrational and unreasonable, think more positively". Like uhhh... okay... Easier said than done. You need to help me out here. They were also incapable of showing empathy, and although I asked them countless times, they never even tried to understand what it's like to be me.

I've been to the mental hospital 5 times, and every time I've been there I had a great psychiatrist who really knew her stuff. She was very professional, and always knew what to say. Unfortunately, she was extremely busy, and never has more than literally 10 minutes a day to talk to her patients in the hospital.

My mom had me ditch my old therapists and signed me up at a new place which I'll be going to sometime next week, but I feel a little uneasy about getting yet another new therapist...

I want to work with someone like my psychiatrist at the hospital (I wish she could actually be my outpatient psychiatrist and do counseling with me, but she's apparently very exclusive and also very expensive...). I've actually had a couple other psychiatrists, and the both of them have been very helpful, too. I mean at this point I just feel like therapists are dumb and psychiatrists are the ones that can really help you. In a way I often feel smarter than the therapists I've been with. But with psychiatrists, they always teach me something new, and they always open my eyes.

Anyway, another reason why I haven't gotten much better is because the place I went to said they didn't allow clients to meet with the therapists for more than once a week. And each session is like 45 minutes, so... It was definitely not even enough time. I really hated that.

So yeah.

Sorry for that long answer... I talk too much. :|

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Health insurance with mental health coverage is very expensive. My current company told me the cheapest plan with mental health coverage would be over $600/month. Of course, it can be $500/hr to see a psychiatrist, but insurance probably isn't going to let you do that very frequently.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Health insurance with mental health coverage is very expensive. My current company told me the cheapest plan with mental health coverage would be over $600/month. Of course, it can be $500/hr to see a psychiatrist, but insurance probably isn't going to let you do that very frequently.
God that is so expensive :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts